cat training techniques

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cat training techniques

The recent thread discussing the kitten beheading brought to mind some strange training I have had to do with a few of my cats.

So in here share any of the more unusual ways you have had to train a 'difficult' kitty.

Years ago, I had a very affectionate one person cat, but she also had a strong personality and was rough when she played. kitty had a bad habbit of chomping down on my hand that little bit to hard. I had tried the usual swat the nose, stop playing etc, no go.

One day after a particulary hard chomp I had had enough, I grabbed her paw, and I chomped down on it - not hard enough to do any damage, but hard enough, that it would have hurt momentarily.

Kitty never chomped hard again.

your stories please.
    Juu nin to iro

English doesn't borrow from other languages. It follows them down dark alleys, knocks them over, and goes through their pockets for loose grammar.

is this about your ex, or a real cat?
    We have enough youth - What we need is a fountain of smart!

i7-920, 6GB DDR3-1600, HD4870X2, Dell 27" LCD

Comment

germy
      P.S. You've been Spanked!

Comment

No cats allowed, so 'training' them would consist of grabbing the scruff of their neck and putting them airborn
        Dr. Mordrid
        ----------------------------
        An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

Just got a new dog.

Day1: Dog made a poop on the floor. I grabbed him by his head, dipped his mouth in the poop, and threw him out the window.

Day2” Dog made a poop on the floor again. I grabbed him by his head, dipped his mouth in the poop again, and threw him out the window.

Day3: Dog made a poop on the floor again, dipped his mouth in the poop & jumped out of the window…. .

Couldn’t help it, it’s Friday!
          And to top it off with a cherry……….something every dog owner should have, look HERE:

Diplomacy, it's a way of saying “nice doggie”, until you find a rock!

Comment

I have a 6kg siberian, hyper active, needs TONS of attention, razor sharp claws and loves to play hard, giving me nasty cuts. So far, seems like he's training me in avoiding dangerous situation more than me training him to be gentler.
            "For every action, there is an equal and opposite criticism."

Comment

Originally posted by TransformX
              I have a 6kg siberian, hyper active, needs TONS of attention, razor sharp claws and loves to play hard, giving me nasty cuts. So far, seems like he's training me in avoiding dangerous situation more than me training him to be gentler.
              What happened to the kitten you posted pics of a couple years ago? i thought that was a Norwegian Forest?

Sasq's bite back techniq actually does work mostly. The thing is you have to show the cat that it can't be as rough on humans as it is with other cats (they have a lot thicker skin than us).

One to do this is if you get scratch by you cat, show them the cut/scratch. 9 times out of 10 the cat will apologize (by licking the wound). 6 times out of 10 it won't repeat the offense so you might have to be patient. It'll eventually get it.

When i first got Ninja (currently cat) she was practicly feral. at 4 months old she would avoid humans like the plague. I coudln't get a good look at her for the 1st month because she was so good at hiding. she only came out to eat and shit when we where alseep or out of the apartment.

it was a running joke that i had a cat that i didn't even know what it looked like.

it took a lot of patients to get this cat accustomed to me. now she'll follow me around the house, talk to me if i talk to her and come running when i come back home from work... kinda like a small dog but it required months of patient effort to get to this point.
              /meow
              Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600
              Asus Striker ][
              8GB Corsair XMS2 DDR2 800 (4x2GB)
              Asus EN8800GT 512MB x2(SLI)

I am C4tX0r, hear me mew!

Comment

Treating them like mother wood when little kitty is bad? (essentially grabbing the cat where mother does and "shaking" sligthly)

Comment

Originally posted by lowlifecat
                  What happened to the kitten you posted pics of a couple years ago? i thought that was a Norwegian Forest?
                  Both cats are Siberians. The red tabby is now 6kg of hyper active, playful monster.
                  "For every action, there is an equal and opposite criticism."

Comment

Originally posted by Sasq
                    The recent thread discussing the kitten beheading brought to mind some strange training I have had to do with a few of my cats.

So in here share any of the more unusual ways you have had to train a 'difficult' kitty.

Years ago, I had a very affectionate one person cat, but she also had a strong personality and was rough when she played. kitty had a bad habbit of chomping down on my hand that little bit to hard. I had tried the usual swat the nose, stop playing etc, no go.

One day after a particulary hard chomp I had had enough, I grabbed her paw, and I chomped down on it - not hard enough to do any damage, but hard enough, that it would have hurt momentarily.

Kitty never chomped hard again.

your stories please.
                    I've done the same thing.. it worked.

People with a pathological hatred for cats are missing a lot. I am definitely a cat person, though I'm not necessarily anti-dog. Dogs are less interesting to me, because they either grovel and are annoying or are aggressive and a threat. It's hard to be friends with a dog.. you are never their social equal. Cats are interesting because they are usually open to relating to you if you treat them with kindness and respect. This dichotomy is why dogs are seen as masculine and cats as feminine. You fight with a dog or order him around, while you have to woo a cat, and they are much more cuddly when you've done so successfully.

Comment

Originally posted by TransformX
                      Both cats are Siberians. The red tabby is now 6kg of hyper active, playful monster.
                      any pics?

Comment

Originally posted by KvHagedorn
                        I've done the same thing.. it worked.

People with a pathological hatred for cats are missing a lot. I am definitely a cat person, though I'm not necessarily anti-dog. Dogs are less interesting to me, because they either grovel and are annoying or are aggressive and a threat. It's hard to be friends with a dog.. you are never their social equal. Cats are interesting because they are usually open to relating to you if you treat them with kindness and respect. This dichotomy is why dogs are seen as masculine and cats as feminine. You fight with a dog or order him around, while you have to woo a cat, and they are much more cuddly when you've done so successfully.
                        To a point I agree, but I do disagree that dogs are as simple as you've put forth. I've never owned any breed beyond labradors and (golden) retrievers, and I've never found them to be the type to grovel or be aggressive (except when there is a threat). My dogs have been caring, playful, protective, cuddly, and even nurturing.

Oddly, I've never found a cat to be a social equal, and I have found them to be annoying and aggressive. Of course, that's definitely not the case across the board, as I have owned several wonderful felines.

I think it comes down to the attitude you have. If you're not fond of dogs then you're not going to like them as much as a cat, and vice versa. I find they both have their good qualities that can make anyone's life more enjoyable.
                        “And, remember: there's no 'I' in 'irony'” ~ Merlin Mann

Comment

Originally posted by Dr Mordrid
                          No cats allowed, so 'training' them would consist of grabbing the scruff of their neck and putting them airborn
                          Doc Doc Doc, that's "cat abuse". It makes you beat your kids and kill people. Didn't you know?
                          The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
                          If only life were as easy as you
                          I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
                          If only life were as easy as you
                          I would still get screwed

Comment

Originally posted by Gurm
                            Doc Doc Doc, that's "cat abuse". It makes you beat your kids and kill people. Didn't you know?
                            Well if Doc's dog(s) has the same aversion to small furry animals as mine does, that might very well be the only way to train them to be prepared

And the statement wasn't that it makes you, it was that it is often a sign of and can lead to...
                            Last edited by Jessterw; 22 September 2006, 18:20.
                            “And, remember: there's no 'I' in 'irony'” ~ Merlin Mann

Comment

Originally posted by Gurm
                              ...and if you hold on to the neck a little too long when you "send him airborn" ......2 years in jail, man..... .

Diplomacy, it's a way of saying “nice doggie”, until you find a rock!

Comment

Working...
                              X