ESL: history of the "RUN" word

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ESL: history of the "RUN" word

We are having a discussion over an Italian NG about the "Run" word.

Simply said...can somebody direct me to a link where to found info about the "birthday" of Run in the sense of executing something? Like running a task, for example?

(just to tell: we are discussing about the use of Run for launching computer programs. I think that "run", being a word with a lot of meaning -even one for "execute"- has been choosen naturally.
    All the rest of the people think that it's been choosen because litterally "it resemble the Program Counter going forward trough memory (when it's not moving backward), and after programmers used it in such meaning, it become widely used the same way by the rest of the world".)
    Sat on a pile of deads, I enjoy my oysters.

I always thought is was based on that concept that programs used to be on paper tape a long time ago and the paper tape ran through the machine to 'run' the prgram.

Comment

Like fluff, I always thought that it had to do with 'running' the paper tape through the reader.
      The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
      If only life were as easy as you
      I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
      If only life were as easy as you
      I would still get screwed

Comment

Have to third that assumption.

It's definitely not the technical term for what it's describing, but to expand on what Gurm said, it likely had roots in someone saying something like, "... while I finish running this program through the computer..."

Which, at the time, would have been a natural choice of words given the use of "running [something] through" was already an established phrase for passing or feeding one object through another.
        Last edited by Jessterw; 21 September 2006, 09:06.
        “And, remember: there's no 'I' in 'irony'” ~ Merlin Mann

Comment

Working...
        X