Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• G450 PCI, NForce4 and DVDMax

Hi,
    I'm just bought my first matrox card G450 PCI which I intened to use as a TV Out card because I read some nice comments on it. When I installed it in my system (dual opteron on an epox nforce4 board) and installed my drivers I was surprised that the dvdmax that I needed was not available in the menu. At first I thouht that it was because the matrox was a secondary card (the primary was an Nvidia 6800GT) so I removed the NVidia and made the matrox a primary and reinstalled the drivers. Still no dvdmax option. I did some research and it seems that dvdmax needs pci bus mastering to work. The thing is that all PCI slots on the NForce4 support bus mastering.
    Do you have any idea what can be causing this?

It's not that much about bus mastering...simply, G450 has all of its features inly on Intel chipsets (probably this does have something to do with bus mastering/superb implementation of PCI on Intel chipsets, I'm not sure anymore...). When using G450 on non Intel chipsets you loose overlay (required for dvdmax) and OpenGL as far as I remember.
    And I'm not sure TV out of G450 still stands out much...anyway, G400 was the card with "legendary" TV Out, not G450...

Comment

It's not really clear what's causing this as many users use non-intel chipset without problems. May be it was an issue years ago but now to sepparate intel, via and amd chipsets is laughable as intel chipsets themselves are quiet different. May be it's some old safety check in the drivers that is still enforced today even it was not needed? Anyone has more information?

Comment

It's about quality of PCI implementation. Intel is consistently best in this regard. Via - consistently worst. Others, for last few years, somewhere in between (SiS very close to Intel, Nvidia quite good...but a bit worse nonetheless, I don't know much about ATI and Uli). Few members (DrMordrid for example) could give you a few examples of both possible problems and good working chipsets, because having good PCI implementation is essential for Matrox video editing cards, they won't work otherwise... Apparently with G450 PCI Matrox still plays safe (I have one too).

Comment

That's what I'm suspecting too. That this is an old check left there for safety and never tested against the new hardware because g450 is really old already. I read somewhere on the forums that there's a registry key that disables the onboot hardware check which leads to enabling dvdmax and opengl on any system even they claim it will be unstable. Anyone knows anything about it?

Comment

Working...
          X