Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Torpark: the anonymous FireFox

AQ is probably pleased

A modified version of Mozilla Firefox that lets users browse the web anonymously has been released.

The Torpark browser can be stored on and run from a flash USB memory stick, which can effectively turn a PC into an anonymous terminal.

Hacktivismo - an eclectic bunch of lawyers, artists, hackers and human rights activists - has created the modified portable web browser.

On its website the group claims to be "committed to developing technologies in support of the highest standards of human rights."

Explaining the motivation behind Torpack, Hacktivismo founder Oxblood Ruffin said: "We live in a time where acquisition technologies are cherry picking and collating every aspect of our online lives - so it seems that it's a browser attempting to redress that supposed imbalance."

No installation is required to run Torpark but the two folders generated from its free download website have to stay together for the browser to run.

Working in conjunction with The Onion Router (TOR) network, the tool anonymises a user's connection through encryption and constantly changing net addresses. This makes it incredibly difficult for ISPs to track an individuals web-related activity and location.

The Torpark website details instructions on what limitations to expect if using the browser, as surfing the net anonymously has several drawbacks including a slower browsing speed and individual websites not storing a users login details.

Torpark is being released under the GNU General Public License and is dedicated "to the Panchen Lama".
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Aye... http://forums.murc.ws/showthread.php?t=58033

And this is not that much about Torpark, but about Tor. The only reason for the former is, IMHO, to minimise errors when configuring Tor, which would jeopardise anonymity. Nothing else - describing it as portable and able to turn "some" PC into anonymous terminal is, IMHO, false advertising - once you start using someone's else PC, assume there's no anonymity.

Comment

Nice!
      Yeah, well I'm gonna build my own lunar space lander! With blackjack aaaaannd Hookers! Actually, forget the space lander, and the blackjack. Ahhhh forget the whole thing!

Comment

Originally posted by Dr Mordrid
        AQ is probably pleased
        Ah, yes. Only terrorists want privacy.
        Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Like anonym.os based on OpenBSD that was released some time ago
          A CRAY is the only computer that runs an endless loop in just 4 hours...

Comment

Working...
          X