Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

LCD screens are getting cheaper & cheaper.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LCD screens are getting cheaper & cheaper.

Acer AL2216Wbd 22" Widescreen Digital/Analog LCD $299.99

Get answers to your questions about order status, product information, returns, account questions, business sales, and so much more. We offer several forms of help including community support, chat, email.

Product Name AL2216Wbd
    Panel Specification Display Size 22" Wide 473x296 mm Pixel Pitch 0.282mm Max. Resolution & Refresh Rate 1680x1050@60Hz
    Glare (Y/N) N
    Response Time (typ.) 5ms
    Contrast Ratio (typ.) 700:1
    Brightness (typ.) 300 cd/m2
    Viewing Angle (typ.) 170x176(H) , 160x176(V)
    Colors 16.2M Bit
    6 Pixel Error Standard B/D : 3 D/D : 5 Total : 5 S
    ystem Specification Input Signal Dual Input VESA Wall Mounting 100x100mm
    Speaker NA
    Power Supply (100V-240V)
    Internal Power Comsumption (OFF) <1W
    Power Comsumption (Stand By) <2W
    Power Consumption (ON) 55W
    Packing Information Weight (kg) 4.8 Weight (lb) 10.57 Gross Weight (kg) 6.3 Gross Weight (lb) 13.9 Dimensions (WxHxD mm) 513x405x192
    Diplomacy, it's a way of saying “nice doggie”, until you find a rock!

Aren't they cheaper already than CRTs of comparable size/resolution in their heyday? (nevermind that thay are cheaper, in practise, for a long time thanks to lower energy consumption - luckily in dorm that's no concern so I can plan on getting cheap used 21' Eizo CRT or something like that )

Comment

Originally posted by Nowhere
      Aren't they cheaper already than CRTs of comparable size/resolution in their heyday? (nevermind that thay are cheaper, in practise, for a long time thanks to lower energy consumption - luckily in dorm that's no concern so I can plan on getting cheap used 21' Eizo CRT or something like that )

Depends what brand name. Compare it HERE:

Comment

...so I can plan on getting cheap used 21' Eizo CRT or something like that )
        And a trolley to move the thing around on
        When you own your own business you only have to work half a day. You can do anything you want with the other twelve hours.

Comment

Nah, courier brings it in, I'm putting it on the table, and it sits there (with eventuall short journey via the elevator down to store-room for vacation) untill I'm moving out of here. At which point I'll try to get rid of it.

Comment

My brother had an Acer 20" w/s and when the Dell 2005fpw came on sale he bought one.
            put side by side, with the same source, the Acer was dull and yellowish.
            He swore he'd never by an acer again
            Yeah, well I'm gonna build my own lunar space lander! With blackjack aaaaannd Hookers! Actually, forget the space lander, and the blackjack. Ahhhh forget the whole thing!

Comment

That'll have to be one strong courier. 21' = 21 feet = 6.4 metres.

Perhaps you meant 21"?
              Lady, people aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard coated bastards with bastard filling. But I don't find them half as annoying as I find naive, bubble-headed optimists who walk around vomiting sunshine. -- Dr. Perry Cox

Comment

Ou...

I suppose you're right (damn non-metric measurements )

Comment

At which point I'll try to get rid of it.
                  I've been trying to get rid of an old 20" monitor for ages
                  When you own your own business you only have to work half a day. You can do anything you want with the other twelve hours.

Comment

Yeah, they aren't too popular these days, especially with LCD prices falling by the second lately.
                    FT.

Comment

Originally posted by gt40
                      My brother had an Acer 20" w/s and when the Dell 2005fpw came on sale he bought one.
                      put side by side, with the same source, the Acer was dull and yellowish.
                      He swore he'd never by an acer again

There are many people that wouldn't give a crap about the colors as long as it was dirt cheap, I know few of them myself.

This is a newer monitor with 5ms response time. And just because the older model was a crap, doesn’t mean they didn’t improve the newer one.
                      Anyway, I’d never buy any electronics (TV, monitor, digital camera etc.) without seeing it in real life. Haven't seen this LCD yet so who knows, you're probably 100% right.

What’s interesting about the Acer LCD, take a look what PC World magazine had to say about the 24” model:

Acer AL2416Wd
                      Inexpensive monitor delivers excellent image quality, but no extras.

Taking a tour of the low-cost Acer AL2416Wd requires just a few minutes. This sleek, black-and-silver, 24-inch wide-screen monitor employs a simple design with no added accouterments.

The AL2416Wd provides just a few options for screen settings. Tweaking the settings is a simple matter, partly because so few exist: just brightness, contrast, RGB balance, and three preset user modes ("cool," "warm," and "user").

When we jury-tested the AL2416Wd at its default settings, it did not score as well as other recent 23- and 24-inch wide screens. On the other hand, it did best the ViewSonic VP231WB--a former champion--on every test except the group portrait screen. Text looked clear on our Microsoft Excel spreadsheet screen, and acceptable (though less clear) on our Microsoft Word spreadsheet screen. Despite being saddled with a color default that didn't flatter our photo screens, the AL2416Wd didn't wipe out on graphics. It scored well on our grayscale test, and it showed excellent detail in photo screens. Overall, the AL2416 earned a performance rating of Very Good.

For some reason, Acer makes the AL2416Wd's cool screen mode its default setting; this explains our test jurors' complaints of a "blue" or "aqua" screen. These cold tones can be distracting on text, but they become downright unpleasant on flesh tones. When I changed the mode to "user," all of the screens looked markedly better, with more balanced colors.
                      Like many other large wide-screen monitors, tilt is the only physical adjustment the AL2416Wd offers. The heavy black stand kept the unit from tipping when I adjusted its rather stiff tilt function. Though the silvery cabinet feels a bit flimsy, its beveled shape imparts a nice effect--something like double-matting a photo.

Because the AL2416Wd costs so little ($919 when tested), it's hard to knock it for doing so little. If you're looking for a big screen built to fit a small budget, the AL2416Wd could be the answer.

Upshot: The AL2416Wd delivers Very Good image quality in a frill-free, low-cost package.

-- Laura Blackwell

Comment

Originally posted by Taz
                        I've been trying to get rid of an old 20" monitor for ages
                        Blah, in the future I could give it to someone for few beers (it's not like I'll pay for it much in the first place), or even in worst case scenario leave it so someone can take it...

Comment

Working...
                        X