Early happy (Jewish) new year

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Early happy (Jewish) new year

Rosh Hashana is this Friday eve. There are two dates where the year starts at in the bible.
    One is known as 'Rosh Hashana' which is supposedly the date in which god started the creation of everything in the book of Genesis. The second one is in Passover, after the exodus, as god proclaimed that this day shall be a 'head of year'.
    Anyway, all the best to everyone
    "For every action, there is an equal and opposite criticism."

Originally posted by GuchiGuh
    Ain't you fellas a bit late?
    Hard to say. Is the creation of the world really the first day of the year? I vote yes.

Do you do anything special on that day, like celebrations?
    Ummm... YES?
    The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
    If only life were as easy as you
    I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
    If only life were as easy as you
    I would still get screwed

Comment

Really?

BTW, I think New Year in freezing cold has its virtues because of that...

Oh, and which year is it?

Comment

What, the pagan holidays weren't good enough for you?

I guess there's something to not having to appease conquered masses by moving your holidays.
        “And, remember: there's no 'I' in 'irony'” ~ Merlin Mann

Comment

Originally posted by Nowhere
          Really?

BTW, I think New Year in freezing cold has its virtues because of that...

Oh, and which year is it?
          5767 years to the creation of the world. Don't ask me how it can co exist with evolution, the big bang or even simple archeology. When theories about the creation of the world fade and we remain with a single solid fact, two options will remain:
          1. The orthodox Jews will act like little children, shutting their eyes and ears in disbelief (happens all the time, but I don't bet on that option)
          2. They'll find some remote excuse that'll make things somehow fit with the book by claiming that in some phrases, time was stretched and that a day in the book of genesis was actually a whole era.
          "For every action, there is an equal and opposite criticism."

Comment

3. Time flies when you're having fun

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

lol Mike
              Better to let one think you are a fool, than speak and prove it

Comment

Originally posted by TransformX
                5767 years to the creation of the world. Don't ask me how it can co exist with evolution, the big bang or even simple archeology
                From some point after the founding of the first Sumerian cities? That predates the biblical patriarchs by 5000+ years (7000 BC).
                Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 21 September 2006, 05:53.
                Dr. Mordrid
                ----------------------------
                An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

Working...
                X