Sony HVR-V1U: 1080/24P

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sony HVR-V1U: 1080/24P

Pro video types without the budget for a high-end HD setup have a new friend in Sony's HVR-V1U cam: the HDV camcorder is the first in its class to shoot 1080p video at 24fps, the holy grail of indie DV cinematography. Sony's V1U is the followup to their Z1U, and is the pro companion to that FX7 prosumer cam we saw the other week. Along with the 24p action, the cam can shoot full-res 30p and 60p flicks, along with with slow-mo vids at up to 240 fields per second. In another boon to pros, the camcorder can record to HDV tapes while simultaneously pushing video to the new HVR-DR60 hard-disk recording unit which offers 60GB of space for up to 4.5 hours of recording in either HDV or DVCAM/DV mode. Other highlights include dual XLR inputs, a 20x optical zoom lens and a 3.5-inch LCD. Of course, this stuff isn't exactly "cheap" in most literal senses of the word: the camera and HDD recording unit are dropping in December for $4,800 and $1,800, respectively. Still, plenty of good things going on here, and if you don't have need for Canon's interchangeable lens capabilities, you'll save a whole lot of cash in comparison to the XL H1, and get some 24p action to boot.

Jerry Jones
    I found a great domain name for sale on Dan.com. Check it out!

More here:

Jerry Jones

Comment

More photos here:

Sony's HVR-V1U HDV camcorder was on display at a special touchy-feely roll-out event in New York this afternoon, and Gizmodo was there for a quick hands-on. Sony presented a refined HDV camcorder that mid-level video production pros and filmmakers will snap right up. This is the higher-end, also-CMOS-totin' big…

Jerry Jones

Comment

3 CMOS, hmmm that sounds good.

have to check the video quality on this puppy

Comment

While I like the camcorder, I think the price is outrageous... now that I think about it... for the puny size of the CMOS chips (1/4-inch).

Give me a good SD 2/3-inch CCD camera and I'll show you an image that'll beat the HD image...

(Unfortunately, the 2/3-inch cameras cost about $18,000 minimum).

EVEN MANY SEMI-PROS DON'T APPRECIATE THE CONCEPT OF CHIP SIZE AS A CAMERA QUALITY INGREDIENT.

But this camera will do well for SONY.

It will extract a lot of money from the "semi-pros" who have the cash to buy a $5000 camera setup.

Jerry Jones

Comment

Working...
          X