STS-125: Hubble repair mission....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• STS-125: Hubble repair mission....

NASASpaceflight media use policy NASASpaceflight is dedicated to telling the story of space and sharing…

STS-125 - NASA's Flight Of Opportunity

Flagship mission STS-125, better known as the final Hubble Space Telescope Servicing Mission, has officially entered NASA's flight manifests as the "Flight Of Opportunity."

HST SM-04 is currently scheduled for No Earlier Than (NET) April 17, 2008, involving Shuttle Discovery. Confirmation of the mission is expected next month.

While moves are being made to attempt to bump the launch up to the end of 2007, initial preparations continue towards the dual approach of training a veteran crew to carrying out the servicing of the space telescope, along with evaluations for a one-of-its-kind LON (Launch On Need) rescue mission being on standby.
    >
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

With all the spare parts at hand it would be faster and probably cheaper if they decided in favour of replacing it at the time of initiall doubts (about servicing mission)...

Comment

Actually you can put up a far more capable telescope for less than the cost of the servicing mission. Keeing it alive is more emotional than practical.
      Dr. Mordrid
      ----------------------------
      An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

As was buidling the shuttle fleet...and where this got us?

Comment

Working...
        X