Coup in Thailand?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coup in Thailand?

Tanks around Govt. HQ, TV showing pics of the royal family & martial music, PM leaves the UN meerting today early etc.

Reuters....
    Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 19 September 2006, 08:40.
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Yep...mobile phones not working, either, but I'm expecting this to be as reasonable as past coups in this country, not really the bloody type, them.
    All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy.

Comment

Crap, I'm supposed to be in Bangkok next week! Not sure if we should cancel our plans or not...
      Lady, people aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard coated bastards with bastard filling. But I don't find them half as annoying as I find naive, bubble-headed optimists who walk around vomiting sunshine. -- Dr. Perry Cox

Comment

Don't cancel yet, tomorrow it will probably still be a bit hazy in terms of business, but previous experience indicates that coups are rarely a problem in this country...they still want the tourism

Comment

Well, whatever is cooking there, I hope it goes with as little (read: no) violence and as quickly and quietly as possible.
          "For every action, there is an equal and opposite criticism."

Comment

Lecter, are you in the downtown area? Is there any noticeable activity around town?
            Lady, people aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard coated bastards with bastard filling. But I don't find them half as annoying as I find naive, bubble-headed optimists who walk around vomiting sunshine. -- Dr. Perry Cox

Comment

I'm at home, but from what I'm chatting with with my friends around the city, aside from restaurants and businesses closing for the night, there's no big deal going on...just saw that soldiers entered Government House, which is good, it means the police stood down. TV is slowly coming back up, so it looks like the usual Thai-style coup.

Comment

Okay, cool... If anything major happens, let us know asap!

Murc is such an awesome place, isn't it? Where else can you get such up to the minute news from around the world?

Thanks Lecter.

Comment

Army has taken over, dissolved the constitution and declared martial law...no shit has hit the fan yet, but things are rather uncertain.

Comment

Martial law still in effect, but the troop buildup has eased, soldiers have been ordered to return to their posts...things should clear up within the next 24 hours, methinks.

Comment

Uhmm...do you even know who actually did the coup?
                      Or is it really irrelevant there?

Comment

Depending on who you listen to, the army as a whole, or a faction of the army...what is known is that the leader is the head of the army (who got dismissed hours before the coup). In any case, no major issues so far in the Land of Smiles

Comment

Is it just me, or is lecter's matter-of-fact calmness about the coup seem a little odd. How often are there coups in Thailands?
                          “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
                          –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

Quoting CNN:

Thailand has seen dozens of government coups since the end of World War II. But this is the first since 1992
                            and

The coup caused little stir in Bangkok's popular tourist districts, where foreigners packed beer bars and cabarets just a few miles from where the tanks were posted

Comment

Originally posted by Jammrock
                              Is it just me, or is lecter's matter-of-fact calmness about the coup seem a little odd. How often are there coups in Thailands?
                              As posted above, not very often, but there has rarely been any trouble...today has been declared a holiday in order to announce "the new policy", but things are OK, there appears to be no power struggle at all.

Comment

Working...
                              X