The UN is useful!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The UN is useful!

For those of you who think the UN serves no useful purpose, take heed of the following:

At 0930 this morning my two phone lines went dead (incl ADSL, of course). I phoned the faults dept. of CYTA, the government telecomms provider. The girl tested the line and said there was a fault, which I knew already. About an hor later, a yellow CYTA van appeared with three blokes. They reconfirmed our phones weren't working and one of them shinned up the pole the other side of the street did some testing and confirmed that the fault was before that. The foreman phoned through on his mobile and then told me he was not authorised to go beyond the local connections, as it was underground beyond that. He told me an emergency team would arrive tomorrow or the day after. I pleaded with him and he said that tomorrow was the earliest and went away.

About 20 minutes later, another yellow van appeared, to my surprise. Chatting with the boss, I learnt that they were an ultra-priority team on standby for repairs to diplomatic missions, government departments and suchlike. It transpired that CYTA have me on file as working for the UN (which I was), so I was back in business after another hour or so of tracing the fault down to a pig's breakfast of an underground junction box 150 m down the road.

2½ hours of fault instead of at least 10 times that, had I not been an ex-UN consultant!
    Brian (the devil incarnate)

If they'd have sent some pretty girl technicians instead of blokes, you might have started your own little sex for food scandal
    "For every action, there is an equal and opposite criticism."

Comment

If they had done that, he'd be breaking his line himself on a daily basis.

Nice one Brian!
      FT.

Comment

That's outrageous... and yet very cool at the same time.

I gotta get my name on some UN list... I wonder if there's some sexy UN Rep in Toronto that would be willing to engage in a sex for enrolment scandal...
        P.S. You've been Spanked!

Comment

they (IAEA) got me a certificate saying that "I" got the nobel peace price, which is not too bad for a few-week-long internship. good timing, I guess.

mfg
          wulfman
          "Perhaps they communicate by changing colour? Like those sea creatures .."
          "Lobsters?"
          "Really? I didn't know they did that."
          "Oh yes, red means help!"

Comment

what were you doing for the IAEA?
            P.S. You've been Spanked!

Comment

molecular work, genetics.

mfg
              wulfman
              "Perhaps they communicate by changing colour? Like those sea creatures .."
              "Lobsters?"
              "Really? I didn't know they did that."
              "Oh yes, red means help!"

Comment

Working...
              X