Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Out of the Black: BattleHog

BattleHog...

Mystery surrounds new BattleHog close air support vertical take-off and landing UAV and its creators American Dynamics

By Peter La Franchi

The previously unknown US manufacturer American Dynamics has flown at least two versions of its developmental BattleHog close air support vertical take-off and landing unmanned air vehicle (UAV).

A basic version of the BattleHog tactical air vehicle made a 3min debut sortie on 19 January last year, or some 18 months ahead of the now-public version, the BattleHog 100X.

American Dynamics revealed the privately-funded development programme for a tactical and unmanned combat air vehicle version of the UAV at the Association for Unmanned Vehicle Systems International’s (AUVSI) Unmanned Systems North America conference in Orlando at the end of last month.

Stefan Amraly, company chief executive officer, says the development effort began in 2001 with the objective of creating a tactical UAV that could be used in both urban and forest terrains.
    >
    BattleHog 100X has a span of 5.2m (17ft) and a length of 3.8m. Maximum take-off weight is put at 1,450kg (3,200lb). The primary lift system is a duct mounted twin fan system with each mounted on a swash plate mechanism. Directional control is achieved by repositioning the fan angles within the duct to create vectored airflow. There are no vector nozzle systems however. American Dynamics has patented the system under the name “High Torque Aerial Lift” or HTAL.
    >
    The bulk of the central fuselage area around the duct fan assembly is used as a fuel tank, with the UAV also featuring wet wings. The UAV would have an endurance of above 8h and would cruise at 180kt (330km/h).

In forest environments BattleHog 100X would capable of flying below treetop level says Paul Vasilescu, American Dynamics technology development director, with nap of the earth and terrain-following flight achieved using radar. The primary terrain avoidance sensor will be a modified Raytheon radar derived from a system already carried by the Lockheed Martin F-16 fighter he says, but declines to provide specific details on type. The radar would be housed in the aircraft nose, meaning an antenna height of 200-250mm (8-9in).
    >
    In its fire support role the UAV would primarily carry two Lockheed Martin AGM-14K Hellfire missiles mounted on pylons attached to the main undercarriage doors, and a M134 7.62 calibre minigun. Alternate weapons could include Hydra-70 folding fin rockets.

The all composite airframe is reinforced with Kevlar and is designed to be able to absorb 7.62mm rounds at a distance of 50m (165ft) says Vasilescu. The airframe should also be able to withstand near misses from rocket propelled grenades he says. Avionics bays have been mounted in the upper forward fuselage to minimise the risk of damage from ground fire.
    >
    The planned larger unmanned combat air vehicle variant, designated BattleHog 350X, is now in manufacture and will make its debut flight in the spring of 2008 says Amraly. The UAV will support low-observable features and is intended to be capable of both land and maritime operations.

BattleHog 350X will use a single afterburning turbofan to drive twin lift fans, again using the HTAL system, mounted in a 40ft wing. The UCAV would have a low profile V-tail but as with BattleHog 100X, would rely on HTAL for directional control rather than use control surfaces.

It would have a maximum take-off weight of 16,800kg, with payload placed at 4,500kg. The air vehicle would have a dry weight of 6,800kg. The bulk of the airframe will use carbonfibre and Kevlar composites, with titanium structural reinforcements.

Weapons load is expected to include carriage of J series guided bombs and the Raytheon AIM-120 AMRAAM missile, carried in internal bays, and a 20mm machine gun.
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Company sounds like a black dev cover to me;

American Dynamics took the unusual step of assembling the vehicle inside a black cloth enclosure to prevent its being seen before exhibition opening. Those same screens were again erected to prevent viewing during its disassembly by three people after exhibition closure.

The firm has released few details about its background or its sources of expertise in aeronautical engineering. Amraly says the company currently employs 20 engineers and has over 300 contracts in place for subsystem and support work on the project.

American Dynamics has a history of involvement in the development of high speed marine vessel ride control and stabilisation technologies with applications for patents in this area secured in mid 2003. Amraly’s own business card cites a seventh floor office on Broadway in New York City. The same company name and address is identified in the current New York yellow pages business telephone directory as a home security and technology services consultancy.

Amraly acknowledges the presence of private investors in supporting the BattleHog development programme but would not be drawn on details. Speaking with Flight Unmanned he said that the company has deliberately kept a low profile and elected to reveal the UAV only because of current marketing requirements.

But he declined to identify specific UAV acquisition programmes being pursued by the company.

Some American Dynamics literature released at the AUVSI exhibition refers to BattleHog as an ‘advanced Tier II’ system, the same language currently used by the US Marine Corps and the US Navy to designate the capabilities of their common current tactical UAV requirements. A downselect for a demonstration system for the USMC programme is due at the end of this month.
    Dr. Mordrid

Comment

pics pleasE?
      /meow
      Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600
      Asus Striker ][
      8GB Corsair XMS2 DDR2 800 (4x2GB)
      Asus EN8800GT 512MB x2(SLI)

I am C4tX0r, hear me mew!

Comment

Top of the first post kitty

Add some lasers and it would almost be an HK from the Terminator movies. It does say in the full article that the 100X has a degree of autonomy and can even fly at low levels through tree cover.

BattlHog 350 sounds like an evolution of the 100X above but much larger, so take it from there. At that size it looks to be a semi-replacement for the A-10 Warthog, but unmanned and with hover.
        Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 17 September 2006, 20:13.
        Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Originally posted by Dr Mordrid
          Top of the first post kitty

Add some lasers and it would almost be an HK from the Terminator movies. It does say in the full article that the 100X has a degree of autonomy and can even fly at low levels through tree cover.

BattlHog 350 sounds like an evolution of the 100X above but much larger, so take it from there. At that size it looks to be a semi-replacement for the A-10 Warthog, but unmanned and with hover.
          interesting, that pic didn't show up till you mentioned it.

lasers would be kewl but missiles are good enough for now.
          /meow
          Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600
          Asus Striker ][
          8GB Corsair XMS2 DDR2 800 (4x2GB)
          Asus EN8800GT 512MB x2(SLI)

I am C4tX0r, hear me mew!

Comment

Working...
          X