Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• nForce3 SATA settings?

I got this nForce3 board, see...

And the SATA controllers manifest in Windows as standard IDE controllers.

They seem to be running nice and speedy, but ... should I be doing something different? I've never installed nForce IDE drivers because on the nForce1 and nForce2 they were GARBAGE. I'd prefer not to install them now for the PATA, otherwise my CD devices may farq up.

There is no setting, it seems, to change SATA from compatible to AHCI or anything like that in the BIOS...

Should I just leave well enough alone?
    The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
    If only life were as easy as you
    I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
    I would still get screwed

Install the drivers, your speed wont be limited to 20mb/s then (that was the diff for me, my hdds got up to full speed and no other problems)

And I havent seen any settings for SATA on any NF3 board exect to enable or disable RAID.

(actually, the only IDE drivers I have seen mess up cd-devices the latest 5 years has been from INTEL )
    If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

The only SATA "performance" option i found in the BIOS, was enabling SATA DMA transfer.
      With the nForce drivers installed, I have separate PATA and SATA Controllers in the Device Manager.
      It works very well...I did have problems too with the NF2 boards, but not with the NF3 and the latest drivers...

Jez
      PC-1 Fractal Design Arc Mini R2, 3800X, Asus B450M-PRO mATX, 2x8GB B-die@3800C16, AMD Vega64, Seasonic 850W Gold, Black Ice Nemesis/Laing DDC/EKWB 240 Loop (VRM>CPU>GPU), Noctua Fans.
      Nas : i3/itx/2x4GB/8x4TB BTRFS/Raid6 (7 + Hotspare) Xpenology
      +++ : FSP Nano 800VA (Pi's+switch) + 1600VA (PC-1+Nas)

Comment

Seems to be ok so far. I too now have separate PATA and SATA.

If I enable the RAID in the BIOS (but don't assign any drives to it because they're not empty at the moment) then I also get a device "nVidia nForce(tm) ATA RAID Class Controller" which seems to be a master RAID enumerator or something.

nVidia seems to be big on "enumerator devices" in this iteration of nforce, the network has an "enumerator class device" as well (which I'm not using, because nForce3 network is apparently crap...)
        The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

Comment

Oh, and apparently my disk transfers jumped from 39MB/sec. sustained up to about 50MB/sec. sustained with this device (based on filesystem response, not raw drive performance, according to Sandra 2007).

Comment

SCARIEST THING EVER...

I now have the "safely remove hardware" thing lit up... with the option to "safely remove" either of my two SATA drives!

I suppose it's nice to know they can be hotplugged... but does anyone know how to DISABLE this feature for a given piece of hardware?

Comment

Nope, I've got that too with my nF4.

However, it works. I added a new HD this week, and moved things around. Hot-plugged everything SATA.
              Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Actually for the sake of safety, it turns out that they can be "hidden" from that menu selectively, by interface:

In HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \ SYSTEM \ CurrentControlSet \ Services \ nvata,

add DWORD DisableRemovable, set to 1. Reboot.

Comment

Working...
                X