Power surge or Bad luck?????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Power surge or Bad luck?????

Upgrading my firmware on my phone via pc and it just swutched off in the middle and died altogther.

PC was fine until I rebooted it half n hour later. It wouldn't start until I chkdsk it. Router alos lost it's internet connection.

Everything goes through a Surge protector as well. There was a storm at the time.
    Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
    Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Lightning rod to ground that puppy!
    "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

MOVs wear out over time ( ie surges, strikes, etc) . Replace every few years or after a strong hit.
      Hope your surge protector was H-> N, H-> G, N->G. Or is it a 240V system with only 2 H and N ? Either way,
      If the surge protector did not cover all combos, your components probably took one on the chin. Safety G is a sneaky way for hits to get in. Had a friend get shocked by the mouse when a bolt hit nearby - traveled up the safety G.

Comment

We weren't struck and storm wasn't near but I just wonder.
        Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Originally posted by The PIT
          Upgrading my firmware on my phone via pc and it just swutched off in the middle and died altogther.

PC was fine until I rebooted it half n hour later. It wouldn't start until I chkdsk it. Router alos lost it's internet connection.

Everything goes through a Surge protector as well. There was a storm at the time.
          Let me get this clear: You were upgrading the firmware on your mobile phone, via the pc, and the pc just switched off, and died suddenly ? Or was it the phone that switched off and died suddenly ?

You may have had a hit through the electrical or phone lines...or both.

edit: is your phone line routed through a UPS? if the electrical ones are, and the phone line isn't, it may be there...
          PC-1 Fractal Design Arc Mini R2, 3800X, Asus B450M-PRO mATX, 2x8GB B-die@3800C16, AMD Vega64, Seasonic 850W Gold, Black Ice Nemesis/Laing DDC/EKWB 240 Loop (VRM>CPU>GPU), Noctua Fans.
          Nas : i3/itx/2x4GB/8x4TB BTRFS/Raid6 (7 + Hotspare) Xpenology
          +++ : FSP Nano 800VA (Pi's+switch) + 1600VA (PC-1+Nas)

Comment

Originally posted by Evildead666
            Let me get this clear: You were upgrading the firmware on your mobile phone, via the pc, and the pc just switched off, and died suddenly ? Or was it the phone that switched off and died suddenly ?

You may have had a hit through the electrical or phone lines...or both.

edit: is your phone line routed through a UPS? if the electrical ones are, and the phone line isn't, it may be there...

The Phone just switched off all by itself. To do the firmware upgrade you've got plug it into the mains.

The phone isn't filtered anyway I don't think we're struck. The PC today also refused to load windows and it was almost exact same time as yesterday. Spooky.

Taking the Phone in tomorrow you never know the technicains may have a way of coaxing it back on.
            Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

try plugging the pc directly into the wall outlet. If that changes the behavior, throw out the surge protector and get a new one.

if you have a volt meter check the wall outlet voltage, H-N, H-H, H-G and make sure they are correct.

Comment

Working...
              X