Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 9/11 "up yours": World Trade Center II

The new Freedom Tower/World Trade Center announced last week;

Freedom Tower: 1,368 ft; 1,776 ft including spire.
    Original WTC: 1,368 ft; 1,731.9 ft including spire.

Full size pics (2500x3592 [day/night], 3000x2119 [top plan] & 5000x2194 [skyline]; 3-4 mb each)

Night: http://digitalvideo.8m.net/wtc2/wtc2night.jpg
    Day: http://digitalvideo.8m.net/wtc2/wtc2day.jpg
    Skyline: http://digitalvideo.8m.net/wtc2/wtc2-skyline.jpg
    Top plan: http://digitalvideo.8m.net/wtc2/wtc2aerial.jpg

The full size pics are so detailed you can see details of the landscaping etc.
    Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 11 September 2006, 16:14.
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

So many things wrong there, not the least of which is the complete disregard for the surrounding scope and architecture of the surrounding area.

That aside, the buildings are wonderfully designed, though I don't mean in appearance.
    “And, remember: there's no 'I' in 'irony'” ~ Merlin Mann

Comment

They really don't fit the skyline, for some reason.
      Yeah, well I'm gonna build my own lunar space lander! With blackjack aaaaannd Hookers! Actually, forget the space lander, and the blackjack. Ahhhh forget the whole thing!

Comment

Same things were said of the original towers.

I'd have liked a more art deco look like Chicago's Trump Intl. Tower (1,171 ft);

Dr. Mordrid

Comment

When I first saw this post I thought you were reposting this for the 5 year anniversary:

I do like the new design. Skyscrapers are supposed to look out of place and attract the eye. Which this one nicely does.

Jammrock
          “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
          –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

beautiful buildings, but i agree too modern looking for the surrounding area. Kinda the same problem were having with the design of louisvilles future new skyscraper....

and i'm not joking.. thats for real
            www.lizziemorrison.com

Comment

that is a beautiful render viewed large

actually it doesnt look too bad
              www.lizziemorrison.com

Comment

The French despised the Eifel tower, saying it was ruining their city. After a while, they got used and later fell inlove with the thing. I think the people of NY will go through the same with the new WTC.
                "For every action, there is an equal and opposite criticism."

Comment

Surely many will, though there's still those that feel it is a mockery and a garish sight that they don't want in 'their' city.

Personally I'm not sure I'd go so far as to call it a mockery, but as someone who studied architecture, I find the complete disregard the surrounding area makes it less than appealing. The buildings themselves aren't horrid looking, and a few are actually quite stunning, but they have to be taken as a whole within their future environment. That's not to say they have to replicate the architecture of the locale, but it should certainly reflect it, even if in passing. But that's just my opinion.

Of course, I think the site shouts, "hey look, my phallic member is bigger than yours... let's see you try to knock it down now..." Sorry, but I'll take the bombing memorial down in Oklahoma City any day over this.

Comment

I would not be surprised if the surrounding area would, over time, be changed to fit the new towers. Also what TX said.
                    Join MURCs Distributed Computing effort for Rosetta@Home and help fight Alzheimers, Cancer, Mad Cow disease and rising oil prices.
                    [...]the pervading principle and abiding test of good breeding is the requirement of a substantial and patent waste of time. - Veblen

Comment

Note, not disagreeing with TX. Nor do I doubt that over a long period of time the architecture of the area will change. That's the natural progression of things, but as things progress, there's also the almost certain chance that designs that are drastically different to this will emerge.

Basically, I think they went overboard and were more concerned with making something absolutely awe inspiring and drastically different that they lost sight of the finer points.

Comment

They said the same thing about the Empire State Building and even worse about the Chrysler Building which, even today, is an art deco monstrosity.
                        Brian (the devil incarnate)

Comment

Looks much better than the first designs they said they were going to use

And I think the buildings will blend in better when they are built, the renderings seems to suffer from a large portion of "3D shine"
                          If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

Actually they might look pretty close. These days archetects are enamoured with tinted glass & open frameworks.

As for the Chrysler building being an 'art deco monstrosity'....most in the US who have an opinion love that building and since the 70's art deco has been in resurgence. Go to South Beach sometime

And if you don't like art deco blame the ancient Egyptians and the French.
                            Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 12 September 2006, 07:33.
                            Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Originally posted by Brian Ellis
                              They said the same thing about the Empire State Building and even worse about the Chrysler Building which, even today, is an art deco monstrosity.
                              Sigh. Yes, yes, they've said the same about a dozen other buildings. That's not the point. I was expressing a personal opinion that had nothing to do with how other people felt.

Oddly enough though, the Empire State Building and the Chrysler Building both do contain elements from the surrounding architecture (at the time they were built). But comparing this to those doesn't make much sense given their intended purposes...

Then again, the purpose of the Twin Tower site really isn't about it being a memorial as much a symbol of commercial interests.

Comment

Working...
                              X