Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 450 eTV Jerky DVD

Hi,
    Do all eTV users have jerky DVD output to their TV? or am I one of an unlucky few? This problem is really starting to get me down.

I don't have jerky DVD playback. What are your hardware & OS setups?

In my experience this is very often dependent on system factors and what player you're using. If your system is video optimized and fairly fast is shouldn't be an issue.

I've been using the Ravisent Cinemaster and WinTV players.

Dr. Mordrid

Comment

But are you in PAL land? The problem seems to be known to Matrox since it is mentioned deep in a readme file on the 450eTV CD (not on the box though!!).
      I have a 1 gig Athlon with 256mb (ASUS mb) - I don't think system perfomance is an issue here (and yes I have read faq 33).
      A quick look at the Matrox forum will show that I am not alone with this problem, I just wonder if antone understands whats going on - why the PAL conflict?

Comment

This is a known problem on PAL systems and will supposedly be fixed in a new driver release.

Comment

Just that this is "being fixed" now since the first PD6 driver....
          Can't imagine how this can be that hard since it worked well in PD5.42/5.52/5.55

At least the G400-users can reside to the PD5.52/PD5.55 drivers (those drivers have other advantages over PD6 as well like working overlays in Clone mode) - unfortunately there are no PD5 drivers for the G450...

[This message has been edited by Indiana (edited 03 June 2001).]
          But we named the *dog* Indiana...
          My System
          2nd System (not for Windows lovers )
          German ATI-forum

Comment

JJHam - You are not alone. I have that jerky problem as well using the matrox dvd software. I have just about the same system as you do, only with a complete scsi sub-system and 512MB ram.

Have you tried WinDVD? That works fine.

I have another issue...

One of the main reasons why I bought it was for the video capture. However, anywhere I try to grab something, I get denied due to copy protection. So now I have spent $200 for a feature that is useless. I have scoured a few newsgroups for a patch with no luck. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Thankx in advance,

Chris

[This message has been edited by atreu59 (edited 06 June 2001).]

[This message has been edited by atreu59 (edited 06 June 2001).]

Comment

Atreu59,

What is it that you're trying to record that's triggering the copy protection ?

Are you trying to record to the PC from a tape, or copy to a tape from the DVD output ?

Chris
              (This_Idiot)

Comment

I'm trying to grab off TV and DVD.

Thankx for responding

atreu59

Comment

No worries about responding, but you didn't answer my question.

There are 2 probs with Macrovision and the Marvel. Firstly is on playing DVD's on a PC to an output source. I don't have a fix for this, although I do remember that others have posted suggestions. The second problem is to do with triggering of the Macrovision copy protection when trying to record TO the PC FROM an external source (such as a camcorder, VCR or standalone DVD Player). There are fixes for various VideoTools releases for this.

Chris

Comment

Sorry...

Yes, my situation has to due with your second scenario. I'm using an external DVD into the eTV. I have even tried using a "Sima - Copy Master" device between the DVD and the PC with no luck.

Some continued testing reveals that I can record TV shows from the eTV's TV-Tuner depending on channel and time of day (I think). Channel 11 News during the mayor elections is a no no, while channel 13 Star Trek Voyager is ok.

But now I have new hope since you say a fix exists.

atreu59

Comment

Atreu,

Go to http://www.desktopvideoworld.co.uk/D...downloads.html . Towards the bottom you'll find some patches to fix macrovision for various releases of the VideoTools.

Hope this helps

Chris
                      (T_I)

Comment

It worked! I was if-y since the patch was for the g400 but it worked!

So I have not waisted $200 after all.

Thank you so much.

atreu59

Comment

But does anyone in the UK (or others in PAL land) NOT have the the TV out problem?

Comment

JJ, I haven't tried this. I do have a DVD drive one one of these wee beasties (think it's currently in the G450 eTV PC, but I don't have a decent TV within 50 feet. That probably explains why I only own one title...

Comment

The "jerky DVD on PAL systems" is a bug officially noted by Matrox in the last few driver-revisions (I think everything with PD6.x). It seems to be a bit variable depending on system-configurations but in the end any PAL user can see this if he looks for this error: jerky playback for a few of frames about every minute.

As stated above: If you have a G400, there is a simple fix: revert to PD 5.52. If you have a G450, tough luck....
                              But we named the *dog* Indiana...
                              My System
                              2nd System (not for Windows lovers )
                              German ATI-forum

Comment

Working...
                              X