My RAID5 Arracy died again!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My RAID5 Arracy died again!

I have four 250GB Seagate drives conencted to an adaptec 2400A (I think) RAID 5 controller. I have had problems with faulty drives inthe past, so I have the adaptec monitor on startup which constantly reports on the status of the array. Yesterday morning everything was fine.

I got a call from Andrea at work to say that one of the drives had failed. At that point I should have made a backup of my documents. Instead I walked her through the process of rebuilding the array. When I got home I saw that the third disk had failed, but it was rebuilding. As it takes ages, I left it to it and went inside. I tried to stream some video from the array, which again was probably a bad idea, and after two mins the video crashed. I went back to the file server and it reported that the array was dead as two drives had failed! Bugger.

I have the Seagate drives with the five year RTB and they are on continuously. I find it hard to believe that both would fail on the same day. In any case I dont want to touch the drives too much. The RAID controller wont mount the array as it has a dead status, but I can see that all the drives are spinning and being detected. Is there any way to force the controlelr to mount the array so that I can get my data from it.

If not, is there any recovery software that will see the four drives so I can recover something. I should have learned by now I need to get access to about 50MB of docs.

Now the reason i am panicking is that this is my backup. My main PC is being rebuilt at the moment.

NOTE TO SELF. USE DVDR!

Any suggestions???
    The Welsh support two teams when it comes to rugby. Wales of course, and anyone else playing England

I am working nights tonight, so during my day off I have brought the fileserver and main pc into the living room.

I've had a partial success. In moving the PC the second drive that had failed has fixed itself. Perhaps it was a power failure. In any case, the drive on bus2 has failed.

I should be able to use and rebuild the array as i have only one dead drive, but the Adaptec utility reports that the array is dead due to multiple drive failures. On boot, the controller shows the array. I just need to somehow 'reset' the flag so that it thinks that the array is degraded.
    The Welsh support two teams when it comes to rugby. Wales of course, and anyone else playing England

Comment

I know this is herecy, but I avoid Seagate drives. Too many bad experiences.
      Dr. Mordrid
      ----------------------------
      An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

I think it is temperature related. I am cooling the drives now and the array is more stable. I can access the data albeit with difficulty. It looks likek two drives need to be replaced. It's a shame that Seagate don't advance ship

Comment

2 HP server
          Each one had 3 Maxtor 250GB in Raid 5
          One of the two had another Maxtor 250GB USB disk for backup.
          Everything is protected by an UPS chain (4 top of the top UPS)

The same day, at a distance of a few minutes one from the other, 2 disks of each array AND the backup disk broke down.

Brought to a data recover service, discovered that:
          1) All 5 disks had the internal "things" broke down in half.
          2) In the last days they had to recover data from a wide number of 250GB disks: about 26 disks in 12-15 days...all broken in the same way

Side note: anyone has the same feeling I have, that disks are becoming more and more frail instead of improving?
          Instead of having disks with less (the hell...what it is the name? Dish?) inside, spinning faster, with high data density, smaller and hotter...wouldn't be better to have bigger things with more (again, dishes? Plates?)?
          I'd really love to have in servers 5,25'' disks, with 4-8 "dishes" (so to read more data without the need for 10k/15k rpm), maybe with 2 set of heads front-to-front parallel reading...
          Sat on a pile of deads, I enjoy my oysters.

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy
            I think it is temperature related. I am cooling the drives now and the array is more stable. I can access the data albeit with difficulty. It looks likek two drives need to be replaced. It's a shame that Seagate don't advance ship
            Seagate do advance ship. Well, they did the last time I looked.
            Asus P4C800-E Deluxe, Pentium 4 3GHz, 2Gb DDRRAM, Gainward BLISS GeForce 7800 GS+ 512MB, Matrox TripleHead2Go Digital, 3x Iiyama 4637 18.1" TFTs, Audigy 2 ZS, Matrox RT.x100, Silentmaxx Acoustic Case

Comment

Originally posted by Drizzt
              again, dishes? Plates?
              Platters
              When you own your own business you only have to work half a day. You can do anything you want with the other twelve hours.

Comment

Originally posted by Taz
                Platters
                Like the singers?
                Sat on a pile of deads, I enjoy my oysters.

Comment

I don't think Seagate advance ship to outside the US.

I have rebuilt 75% of the array by chilling it Now I need to replace two of the disks, but obviously i can't return them without replaceing them first.

Comment

eh Paddy ! You need a couple spares anyway ! Goferit

Comment

the drives are cheap enough. I'll buy a spare one and then start the RMA process. Since keeping the drives chilled and rebuilding the array I am detecting no faults.

I'm going to put them in a HTPC and improve the cooling.

Comment

If you are building a HTPC, don't try and use a fancy low-profile case. I did (Silverstone LC11) and you have to jump through a lot of hoops. Stick to a desktop size with plent of room for quiet cooling and no need for risers.
                        FT.

Comment

i second that. Larger fans = more airflow = slower rpm = less noise. THe antec p150 is a slick looking quiet case if you can stand glossy white. i'm sure there are others.

what works for drives works for beer too !

Comment

Working...
                          X