FTC puts the smackdown on Enternet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FTC puts the smackdown on Enternet

The Federal Trade Commission has forced spyware distributors Enternet and …

The Federal Trade Commission (FTC) has reached a settlement with a cabal of spyware distributors whose software has reportedly afflicted 18 million consumers. Enternet Media, Conspy, and a several affiliated individuals will have to pay $2 million, and are "permanently prohibited from interfering with a consumer's computer use, including but not limited to distributing software code that tracks consumers' Internet activity or collects other personal information, changes their preferred homepage or other browser settings, inserts new advertising toolbars or other frames onto their browsers, installs dialer programs, inserts advertising hyperlinks into third-party Web pages, or installs other advertising software code, file, or content on consumers' computers."

The spyware companies from California were collectively responsible for developing and distributing a number of tools designed to track the browsing habits of consumers, and display unwanted advertisements on users' computers. With names like "Search Miracle" and "Elite Toolbar," the applications were foisted upon unwary users through pop-up installation windows claiming to offer free software, phone ring tones, and browser upgrades.
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Enternet Media, Conspy, and a several affiliated individuals will have to pay $2 million
    They should be made to pay back any money they've made, which I'm sure is more than $2 million
    When you own your own business you only have to work half a day. You can do anything you want with the other twelve hours.

Comment

Working...
    X