Digital Camera

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Digital Camera

My in-laws decided to buy me a digital cam and were generous enough to let me choose whichever I'd like, the budget was also quite generous.
    From what I've seen online the Panasonic DMC-FZ7 seems to give the best bang for the buck.
    The camera will be used mostly for stills and baby photos (first one is soon to be out of the 'oven' ), short videos will be a nice added bonus too.
    Any pointers or suggestions will be very appreciated.

"For every action, there is an equal and opposite criticism."

For indoor photos without flash the ONLY (!) camera short of a DSLR is the Fuji F30.
    There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

Wow, quite a review on this one, thanks for the pointer AZ!

Comment

Mind you, this is by far not the best camera, not even the best compact camera out there. But it is the only one* that can do reasonable low-light shooting, and shooting indoors in every light but with the sun blazing in through the windows is low-light. If you can live with the limited zoom range and the image quality, this would be the camera I'd get for "social" shooting.

*= except its predecessor, the F10, which is not as good a camera, and a cheaper model, the F20.
        There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

I have the Fuji E550 since it came out (long before F10 showed up...) for what AZ called “a social shooting” & I love it.
          The only feature that stinks on this little camera is a 4~6 seconds recharge of the flashlight between the shots.

Back then, this one was the fastest compact camera to focus and take the picture when pressing the button all the way down.

There is one thing about buying a digital Camera or Camcorder, I’d never buy it until I can hold it in my hand and try it out, see how it feels.
          I remember before I did purchase E550, I went to a Store and started to take pictures of customers entering the front door and making a sharp turn just past them. You wouldn’t believe how many cameras did photograph a shoe with partial leg only left in the picture. That’s how slow they were to focus and execute! On top of it, all the reviews had nothing but great things to say about those cameras, how great and low noise picture they were producing.

Today it’s is not a great deal anymore but still… .

I like this site for Camera’s Reviews:

Expert news, reviews and videos of the latest digital cameras, lenses, accessories, and phones. Get answers to your questions in our photography forums.

Good luck.
          Diplomacy, it's a way of saying “nice doggie”, until you find a rock!

Comment

Just did compare how fast is the Panasonic DMC-FZ7 comparing to my 2 years old Fuji E550and I just wish I did have the FZ7 flash speed. All other speeds are almost the same.

And without a flash, from Power Off till picture taken I'll still beat the FZ7!

Fuji E550

vs

Panasonic DMC-FZ7

Comment

The F30 may be a class-leading performer in low light, but in very bright conditions getting the shot you want can be a little hit and miss. Left on the default settings (pattern metering, area focus), the F30 consistently overexposes bright scenery; unfortunate considering that the steep tone curve (see below) is particularly unforgiving, with even the mildest overexposure causing serious highlight clipping. The lack of a histogram in record mode is made worse by the fact that the LCD cannot be relied upon as an indicator of exposure - all the overexposed shots here looked fine in the instant review. The answer - though in a camera like this it's hardly an ideal one - is to use at least -0.67 EV exposure compensation when shooting in bright conditions, and to avoid re framing after half-pressing the shutter (this locks the AE as well as the focus, and can lead to exposure problems when using area autofocus).

The whole F30 Review HERE:

Comment

Originally posted by TransformX
                My in-laws decided to buy me a digital cam and were generous enough to let me choose whichever I'd like, the budget was also quite generous.
                From what I've seen online the Panasonic DMC-FZ7 seems to give the best bang for the buck.
                The camera will be used mostly for stills and baby photos (first one is soon to be out of the 'oven' ), short videos will be a nice added bonus too.
                Any pointers or suggestions will be very appreciated.

http://www.digitalcamerainfo.com/con...ead-Review.htm
                also check out the new canon line just announced. the powershot g7 will boast 10 mp, 6x optical zoom and the brand new digic 3 image processor. the rebel xti has been getting a lot of praise as well, but is going to be pretty pricey.

I've been a canon fan ever since my dad bought a powershot g1. that camera is still kicking and taking great pictures.

I just picked up a powershot a630 myself. I'll post some picks when I get a chance.

ps... www.dpreview.com is another great digital camera review site.
                “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
                –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

I heartily recommend the Hasselblad H2D-39.

Comment

Originally posted by Jon P. Inghram
                    I heartily recommend the Hasselblad H2D-39.

wow.

Comment

From what I've seen so far, I think that on a budget of approximately 300 euros, the Panasonic DMC-FZ7 is the most versatile camera around. Feature / cost make it quite a best buy even though it would have been (much?) better without the high noise levels.

I think I'll be getting one around November

Comment

You really ought to look into a Seitz 6x17 too, with 160 megapixels you can't go wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by TransformX
                          I think I'll be getting one around November
                          Make sure you get it in time to do the 'Demi Moore' photographs. Its a beautiful time to record, if Alice agrees.
                          FT.

Comment

There could be a slight problem with that. You see, the camera will arrive with her parents..
                            Then again, it does have a big advantage of not having to give the film to be developed by a stranger.. Anyway, if it won't work for this pregnancy, it will for the next

Comment

I'm only talking about something discrete and classy, although I agree she wouldn't want to pose with her parents around!
                              FT.

Comment

Working...
                              X