X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Face the Promise"

Seger fires it up

CD 'Promise' puts the local rock legend back in the game

Bob Seger didn't have to emerge from his leafy, comfortable southeastern Michigan cocoon.

At 61, without financial pressures, the native Detroiter could have gone on forever attending Pistons games, sailing, dabbling in astronomy and physics and watching his kids grow up. He could do all that, blending into the crowd with his gunmetal gray hair, and his position as Mr. Hey, Dee-troit! would be intact.

He'd still be the guy who sold 39 million albums, who played "Ramblin' Gamblin' Man" in my high school gym and your cafeteria, whose high-energy act made for some of the most exciting live concerts ever.

But something happened three years ago while he was working on that endless album project. Something pushed him into overdrive, into ditching the whole album and starting afresh. It was partly his induction into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 2004, but also the wish for his kids to see him in full-tilt rock-star mode.
    >
    One of the best songs on the album is a foot-stomping Seger-Kid Rock duet on the Vince Gill tribute to Merle Haggard "Real Mean Bottle." Seger heard the song on Gill's album and thought it might work as a duet for the two since Rock, aka Bob Ritchie, loves old classic country.
    >
    When this tour starts I'm first in line

I've attended Seger concerts many, many times & believe me he can rock the house down
    Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 9 September 2006, 17:56.
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

I have been waiting a long time for this album. I have almost every album he put out. Bob has to be one of the best and most honest rock'n roll singers of all time. I hear he is going to be touring, I just wish he would come to Germany.

Comment

For those of us in Michigan (he's a native) Bob Seger is an institution. Inducted into the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame (2004) & who can forget "Old Time Rock & Roll" (in the film Risky Business) and "Turn the Page"?

GAWD, I can't wait for that tour schedule. Every one of the kids is excited too, meaning an $$$$ night

EDIT: Seger will be on 'The Tonight Show' on 9/14/2006.

This was in the Detroit Free Press regarding a tour;

Seger has been warming up his live chops at his Clintonville studio with a group that includes core veterans Chris Campbell, Craig Frost and Alto Reed.

He's rehearsing old material and songs from the new "Face the Promise" album. A tour decision -- and insiders say he's leaning toward yes -- will come by month's end.

"He's basically checking it out," says Mike Boila of Birmingham management firm Punch Enterprises. "He wants to make sure they're ready."

If Seger does hit the road, Boila says, it will be on a far smaller scale than his last outing -- a five-month tour in 1996 with 64 concert dates, including eight sold-out shows in metro Detroit.
      Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 11 September 2006, 13:49.
      Dr. Mordrid

Comment

He has a ot of good songs that I grew up on. None of my friends ever heard of "Turn the Page" until Metallica re-did it. I actually like Metallica's version better. It's much tighter, amazing solos, and I liek Hetfield's voice better than Bob's.
        Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

Comment

Originally posted by Helevitia
          I actually like Metallica's version better. It's much tighter, amazing solos, and I liek Hetfield's voice better than Bob's.
          :bitchslap:
          Dr. Mordrid

Comment

I really don't like Seger.

you can bitchclap me as well if it makes you feel better
            Yeah, well I'm gonna build my own lunar space lander! With blackjack aaaaannd Hookers! Actually, forget the space lander, and the blackjack. Ahhhh forget the whole thing!

Comment

Originally posted by Helevitia
              He has a ot of good songs that I grew up on. None of my friends ever heard of "Turn the Page" until Metallica re-did it. I actually like Metallica's version better. It's much tighter, amazing solos, and I liek Hetfield's voice better than Bob's.
              Double bitchslap:

Comment

The new album is very good but nothing like the old stuff (2+2,system)
                Last edited by Damien; 13 September 2006, 13:46.

Comment

Working...
                X