• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Popular Science article: The Top-Secret Warplanes of Area 51

Images: http://www.popsci.com/popsci/aviatio...cbccdrcrd.html
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Hey, that's not the Aurora from Janes. Though that looks way cool:

MACH 6 attack jet. Nice. Bet it has to be unmanned at those speeds.

Great article, Doc. Thanks for sharing.
    “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
    –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

I thought velocitiy did not matter, just acceleration?
      Join MURCs Distributed Computing effort for Rosetta@Home and help fight Alzheimers, Cancer, Mad Cow disease and rising oil prices.
      [...]the pervading principle and abiding test of good breeding is the requirement of a substantial and patent waste of time. - Veblen

Comment

Well, considering you're not showing up on radar and not telling the world where you are and which way you're heading, at mach 6, you can meet lots of stuff that go 'bump'...
        "For every action, there is an equal and opposite criticism."

Comment

Not at >100,000 feet & using standoff smart munitions.
          Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 11 September 2006, 06:59.
          Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Acceleration is not an issue if you have a dampening field to eliminate G-forces

Comment

Wonder if it also has MHD ptopulsion? hmmmmm....
              Dr. Mordrid

Comment

The munitions would be the thing.

If it were travelling at mach 6 and at 100K feet, against a conventional aircraft flying near enough opposite it, modern Long range radar guided aa missiles would have no more than 1 second to lockon and fire before it would be out of range again (if even that!). At that speed, it would take perhaps a full minute to turn round to do a second run on the tail of an enemy fighter and get a bead on it again. Turning in a tight arc at mach 6 wouldturn the pilot to jelly, rip the wings off and probably stall the engine (the least of the pilots worries ).

Modern Phoenix missiles have an effective range of about 100 nautical miles, and is the US long rainge AA missile. Its also a heavy brute, with a tomcat only able to carry 6 with a much reduced range.....
                Even this missile would probably need HEAVY modification to be able to be launchable from essentially 'space'.

http://www.fas.org/man/dod-101/sys/missile/aim-54.htm

Might be one for Dr Ms pulse laser reapon systems!

I am not sure of the point of it!

The others though, seem useful.... I liked the concept of the long range drone. Reminds me of the the Gothe experimental german bomber (the famous (infamous?) flying wing.....
                Chineese have one on test at the moment.
                Dont just swallow the blue pill.

Comment

Originally posted by Jammrock
                  Hey, that's not the Aurora from Janes. Though that looks way cool:

MACH 6 attack jet. Nice. Bet it has to be unmanned at those speeds.

Great article, Doc. Thanks for sharing.
                  Actually pretty much spot on how it looked in the ATF game series from EA wich carried the Jane name
                  If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

MACH 6 = ~1 mile/second. 2 closing on each other from 100 nm would have ~50 seconds to detect/lock/fire, but in real life US radars can now see much further than that. They also have passive radar, meaning they can lock on using radio transmissions that happen to reflect their way.

MACH 6 is fast enough to start a scramjet, so it would likely have some scramjet AA in its stores. I know scramjet cruise missiles exist that use hydrocarbon fuel, so standoff attack is also an option.
                    Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 11 September 2006, 14:41.
                    Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Meanwhile the combat sims of the F/A-22 are getting impressive; its kill ratio as of August is 108-0 against F-15's, F-16's and aircraft simulating SU-27/30's (probably modded F-18's). In one sim it took on 40 aircraft at once & survived.
                      Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 11 September 2006, 15:09.
                      Dr. Mordrid

Comment

yup - I got my sums wrong

Dr M - you are, of course, correct. The speed of sound is roughly 763 MPH.
                        Mach 6 is 1.28 miles per second, I forgot to divide by 60
                        Dont just swallow the blue pill.

Comment

Originally posted by RedRed
                          yup - I got my sums wrong

Dr M - you are, of course, correct. The speed of sound is roughly 763 MPH.
                          Mach 6 is 1.28 miles per second, I forgot to divide by 60
                          That's @ sea level. Higher you go the lower it is.
                          "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

Working...
                          X