Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nurse-zilla

Police: Nurse, 51, kills intruder with bare hands

PORTLAND, Oregon (AP) -- A nurse returning from work discovered an intruder armed with a hammer in her home and strangled him with her bare hands, police said.

Susan Kuhnhausen, 51, ran to a neighbor's house after the confrontation Wednesday night. Police found the body of Edward Dalton Haffey 59, a convicted felon with a long police record.

Police said there was no obvious sign of forced entry at the house when Kuhnhausen, an emergency room nurse at Providence Portland Medical Center, got home from work shortly after 6 p.m.

Under Oregon law people can use reasonable deadly force when defending themselves against an intruder or burglar in their homes. Kuhnhausen was treated and released for minor injuries at Providence.

Haffey, about 5-foot-9 and 180 pounds, had convictions including conspiracy to commit aggravated murder, robbery, drug charges and possession of burglary tools. Neighbors said Kuhnhausen's size -- 5-foot-7 and 260 pounds -- may have given her an advantage.

"Everyone that I've talked to says 'Hurray for Susan,' said neighbor Annie Warnock, who called 911.

"You didn't need to calm her. She's an emergency room nurse. She's used to dealing with crisis."
    Yup....Oregon is a "Castle Doctrine" state
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

When threatened I would not hesitate to defend my own life under any circumstances.. I don't care what the goddamed law says.

Comment

There are few states where taking down an armed intruder IN YOUR HOME will get you in more trouble than a minor scolding. There are slap-happy DA's that take cases like that, but the NRA sends in the big guns when that happens (if a gun was involved).
      The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
      If only life were as easy as you
      I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
      If only life were as easy as you
      I would still get screwed

Comment

Must be "don't mess with the ladies" week

Woman in wheelchair on way to gun practice shoots mugger

NEW YORK (AP) -- Margaret Johnson might have looked like an easy target.

But when a mugger tried to grab a chain off her neck Friday, the wheelchair-bound 56-year-old pulled out her licensed .357 pistol and shot him, police said.

Johnson said she was in Manhattan's Harlem neighborhood on her way to a shooting range when the man, identified by police as 45-year-old Deron Johnson, came up from behind and went for the chain.

"There's not much to it," she said in a brief interview. "Somebody tried to mug me, and I shot him."

Deron Johnson was taken to Harlem Hospital with a single bullet wound in the elbow, police said. He faces a robbery charge, said Lt. John Grimpel, a police spokesman.

Margaret Johnson, who lives in Harlem, has a permit for the weapon and does not face charges, Grimpel said. She also was taken to the hospital with minor injuries and later released.
        Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Kansas has a castle doctrine rule. One of my buddies is a deputy sherrif, and he always told me, "if someone breaks into your house and you have to use deadly force to protect yourself, make sure he doesn't make it out. As long as everything happened inside your house, and the body stays inside your house, the law will protect you."
          “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
          –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

U.S. States with Castle Doctrine Laws in Effect
            Alabama
            Alaska
            Arizona
            Colorado
            Florida (adopted March of 2005)
            Georgia
            Indiana
            Kentucky
            Michigan (Signed By Governor Granholm July 20th 2006)
            Mississippi
            Nebraska
            New Hampshire (SWEET!)
            North Dakota
            Oklahoma (passed in House)
            South Carolina
            South Dakota
            Tennessee
            Texas
            Washington
            Better to let one think you are a fool, than speak and prove it

Comment

I'm in SC now! W00T! I get to kill people who invade my home!

Ok, so that's not cool on any level. But it's good to know I can defend my family if needed.

Comment

In Michigan and several other of the states listed you're not limited to just your house. It extends to all public spaces, so if you're attacked on the street you can bring out 'Betsy', Tazer, a big damned hickory stick or knife and let 'er rip.
                Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 9 September 2006, 15:12.
                Dr. Mordrid

Comment

If the Mormons come calling can I pop a cap in their ass?

Seriously? While my lofe may not have been in danger, my sanity was! I had a visit from 2 large men with american accents and dark suits on Friday - I couldnt get them to leave, and my supper was cold by the time they had went.

It was night time... dark, and they firghtened me when they came knocking.....

No disrespect to any/all followers of the Church of the Latter Day here (I know there are some)
                  Dont just swallow the blue pill.

Comment

You haven't dealt with Jehovah's Witnesses yet, have you

Best way to deal with 'em is to just shut the door.

If they persist I let Spike (110 lbs) handle things from there. 99% of the time I don't even have to open the screen door before they're breaking 100 meter dash records.

Spike has such a pretty 'smile'

Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 9 September 2006, 15:40.
                    Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Originally posted by RedRed
                      No disrespect to any/all followers of the Church of the Latter Day here (I know there are some)
                      None taken. I was companioned with a 6'5" (~195 cm), 250+ lbs (~114 kg) Idaho farmboy. Myself being 6'2" (185 cm), 300 lbs (137 kg) and about as broad as a brickwall. We scared many people together.

Though I always did my best to respect people's wishes if they weren't interested and leave with a smile. Which brings me to my point. The best way to get Mormons off you your doorstep is to not show any interest. At all. Let them give their opening speech, say, "No thank you. I'm a steadfast Catholic (or whatever religion you are or choose to be) and I am not interested." Thank them for coming, smile, and close the door.

Oh, and the Castle rule only applies to people putting you and your family in mortal danger. Last I checked missionaries weren't allowed to pack heat

Jammrock

Comment

Depends which version of the 'good book' they are carrying. it could either be considered a blunt weapon or against the UN bill of human rights as cruel and unusual punishment.
                        Juu nin to iro

English doesn't borrow from other languages. It follows them down dark alleys, knocks them over, and goes through their pockets for loose grammar.

Comment

Tried to upload photo of a mere 27 kg beast with a 120 dBA bark that will frighten anyone away. Actually, he is as soft as a bald turnip, but no one stays long enough to find out!

SASQ: Why can't I upload photos or any attachments now?
                          Brian (the devil incarnate)

Comment

BTW, I do hope that people know I was only kidding about!

They were nice people, but they couldnt convert me
                            Dont just swallow the blue pill.

Comment

We'll likely be having a major presidential candidate that's a Morman; Massachusetts Governor Mitt Romney. Political reporters rate him the smartest, most personable and yet toughest candidate in the running. His father George was one of the most popular Governors in the history of Michigan.
                              Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 11 September 2006, 10:49.
                              Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Working...
                              X