Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mobile phone question

Hello,

I'm wondering what to do about this. My phone is a Nokia 6260, and while it is ok to use (despite crashing more and more frequently), there are some downsides. Mostly because my usage has changed (I want a new one, but don't really see reason enough to justify it).

I often type & send emails on it (but it has no full keyboard). Alternatively, I can type texts on my laptop, send them via bluetooth, and copy past to the mail application. But then I'm quite limited in size (the texts are passed through the "notes" application, which has size limitations). Lastly, I could send mails from the laptop, but setting up the GPRS connection from laptop is cumbersome (most of the times the phone needs to be reset before it works), in total it costs quite some time (and much more GPRS traffic) to do this.

The phone does not support synchronizing emails, so I cannot type them in Outlook, synchronize, and send them. So I'm thinking of alternatives.

1. Just get a new mobile.
    Problem is I don't want to spend too much on it, and the phones that seem to provide the required functionality are too expensive (IMO, anything over €400 is too much) or too bulky. Any devices you guys would recommend?
    SE M600i: misses some features I find necessary (i.e. profiles)
    Nokia 9300i: lacks some features as well
    HTC HTyN: too expensive
    Nokia E70: gets bad reviews for low available memory in landscape (and as I already notice with mine, this impacts stability a lot; my 6260 actually has more available work memory than this one.
    Nokie E61: too big
    Fujitsu T830: too heavy (I think), at just under €500 it is a great offering (it has built in gps!) though.

2. My PC keyboard is quite old, and sometimes keys appear stuck (esp. shift or ctrl). I could get a bluetooth keyboard, and probabely use it as a keyboard for the mobile (I need to check if this works).

3. Get a bluetooth keyboard for the mobile (there are thumbboards).

Any suggestions?

Jörg
    pixar
    Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Originally posted by VJ
    I could get a bluetooth keyboard, and probabely use it as a keyboard for the mobile
    I doubt that would work as I wouldn't expect the phone to have the correct Bluetooth profile for a keyboard
    When you own your own business you only have to work half a day. You can do anything you want with the other twelve hours.

Comment

Originally posted by VJ
      Hello,

Any suggestions?

Jörg
      BlackBerry provides organizations and governments with the software and services they need to secure the Internet of Things. Learn how BlackBerry Cybersecurity powered by Cylance AI can protect your people, network, and data.

desole, c'est en francais
      /meow
      Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600
      Asus Striker ][
      8GB Corsair XMS2 DDR2 800 (4x2GB)
      Asus EN8800GT 512MB x2(SLI)

I am C4tX0r, hear me mew!

Comment

Originally posted by Taz
        I doubt that would work as I wouldn't expect the phone to have the correct Bluetooth profile for a keyboard
        Well, the phone is compatible with a Nokia bluetooth keyboard, and with a number of 3rd party bluetooth pda keyboards, but I don't know which profile they use.

Jörg
        pixar

Comment

Originally posted by lowlifecat
          Yeah...But those Blackberry devices look big, and are word limited when it comes to software (I have approx. 30 additional applications on my phone now :-))

Jörg
          pixar

Comment

The new Blackberry 8100 ("Pearl") looks nice. It's quite small and light and looks more or less like a regular mobile. Isn't available yet though, and I don't know what it'll cost.

Siemens SK65?
            There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

If I had a phone that "crashed", I would have put it through the nearest plate-glass window. How about getting a phone that... y'know... is a PHONE?
              The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
              If only life were as easy as you
              I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
              If only life were as easy as you
              I would still get screwed

Comment

Featuritis begets bugs.
                There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

I really don't see what's great about Blackberry's, the ones I've used have seemed very Fisher Price Ok they do push email, but so can WM5 and PalmOS smartphones now.
                  When you own your own business you only have to work half a day. You can do anything you want with the other twelve hours.

Comment

And...any phone with Java.

(BTW...why the european version of 3300, succesor to 5510, doesn't have qwerty keyboard? :/ ; and I guess that the GSM standards used in US aren't identical enough...)

Comment

Originally posted by Gurm
                      If I had a phone that "crashed", I would have put it through the nearest plate-glass window. How about getting a phone that... y'know... is a PHONE?
                      Problem is that I use it as much more than a phone. So I really use the features of the device...
                      (it really is my agenda, contacts database, internet access, mail device, web browser device and even .... phone)

Jörg
                      pixar

Comment

Hmm, it looks like my phone (6260) might still be covered by warranty.... So I could send it in "for a firmware update" which might yield a solution for the stability issues. I could then buy a new device (last time, the 6260 was away for some 2 months), and keep the 6260 as backup...

Jut been checking out :
                        HTC HTyN is too expensive (over 700 euros!) IMO, but its predecessor is the Qtek 9100. The difference are mainly subtle (bluetooth v1.2 instead of v2.0, WDCMA not supported, ...), but may not bother me esp. as it is 200 euros cheaper).
                        Still, the Siemens T830 looks extremely tempting, with a price of just over 400 euros (it does seem to have a smaller keyboard, but has a gps built in).

Jörg
                        pixar

Comment

Originally posted by VJ
                          Problem is that I use it as much more than a phone. So I really use the features of the device...
                          (it really is my agenda, contacts database, internet access, mail device, web browser device and even .... phone)

Jörg

Blackberries do all the above better than anything else.

If you are worried about applications for the phone; mosey on down to Handango.com and check out the selection.

BBs have a sun java OS that is very stable. They are also the most secure handheld on the planet.

* posted from my blackberry on the bus going across town
                          /meow
                          Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600
                          Asus Striker ][
                          8GB Corsair XMS2 DDR2 800 (4x2GB)
                          Asus EN8800GT 512MB x2(SLI)

I am C4tX0r, hear me mew!

Comment

Working...
                          X