Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows Vista RC1

If your part of the beta, you can now download Vista RC1

Why is it called tourist season, if we can't shoot at them?

Hmm might be time to finally download this pig and install it... *snicker*
    The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
    If only life were as easy as you
    I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
    I would still get screwed

Comment

Problem one where do you get the product key from. I can't see the registration page amongst all the Vista stuff.
      Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
      Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Originally posted by The PIT
        Problem one where do you get the product key from. I can't see the registration page amongst all the Vista stuff.
        Are you in the beta or on MSDN? On MSDN it's on the "keys" page along with all your other keys. You probably have to 'request' it though, but at our MSDN level that's just a button click away. Why they even make you request it is beyond me...
        The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

Comment

Beta theres supposed to be links on the site but I can't see any.
          Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Originally posted by The PIT
            Beta theres supposed to be links on the site but I can't see any.
            Yeah sorry, can't help you much with that. For us there's a big button on the download page that says "get key now" or something equally silly.

Comment

on the same page it says...
              Windows Vista RC1 is available for participants of the Windows Vista Customer Preview Program. Please go to the Customer Preview Program website to register and receive a Product Key, which is required to install and activate the software

Comment

Originally posted by Elie

Ah if you go there theres no infoi on the product key registration
                Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Originally posted by Elie
                  I love the fact that MS has about a million different programs and each has a different interface.

Is it MSDN? Beta? CPP? Free beta? Public? ARGH!

Comment

LOL, I know eh?

The final major pre-release of Windows Vista—Release Candidate 1 (RC1)—is now available for priority access by Customer Preview Program (CPP) participants only. If you registered for this program in June, please look for a recent e-mail message from Microsoft (sent in early September) with information regarding RC1. If you are not registered but would like to receive Windows Vista RC1, the CPP will open to new participants in the coming weeks. Please check this site periodically for updates.
                    I would guess this means if you are a registered for the CPP program you will receive an e-mail with regards to the new key!

Otherwise they will at one point open the CPP program again for people to register.

Regards,
                    Elie

Comment

RC1 has been available via the beta test program for about a week but it was only posted to MSDN today. Beta 2 was posted to MSDN about a week ago. I tried it and had a lot of problems with the networking. I think it was bad NIC drivers. And the latest Marvell drivers (downloaded from their site) would kill the network completely.

I'm downloading RC1 now and am hoping it will have better support for the Marvell NICs on my motherboard. Aside from the networking I have to say that I was really impressed with the overall speed of Vista. I'd say it was faster than XP.

Anybody know of any major differences between the x86 and x64 editions of Vista? I'm planning to install both so I can see which of my apps work with what.

I built a new Conroe based dev rig for work as a stop gap until I build a dual Xean Woodcrest monster and have been playing with XP Pro x64 for the first time. I like it. It seems to handle heavy loads better than the x86 version. But that could just be because it sees all 4GB of my RAM; the x86 version only sees 2GB.

Have you had to use any partitioning software since you installed Vista? Partition Magic wont run properly once Vista is installed. I did some googling and found a linux live CD distro called GParted. It's a bootable ISO that loads up a Partition Magic like interface. I was able to use it to dynamically resize my partitions without any trouble.

Also, a free util that I've found super helpful is MagicISO. The blog where I first heard about it says that it's the only ISO mounting tool that works in Vista. All those MSDN goodies come down in ISO format and are a breeze to mount and install without having to waste a CD-R or DVD-R. I used to use Nero DriveImage but it doesn't work in Vista.
                      P.S. You've been Spanked!

Comment

Why would the x86 version of XP only see 2GB of your RAM? I thought 32-bit XP supported 4GB. Have you tried putting the /pae switch in your boot.ini?

I know if you put 32-bit Server 2003 on a machine with 4GB, it'll see 3.5GB until you add that switch. Not sure why you'd only see 2GB.

Also, according to Paul Thurrot, the x64 version of vista is a compatibility nightmare. If you're using it for a specific purpose, and your apps are supported, it's fantastic. If you're using it as a general purpose machine, avoid it at all costs. I ran XP x64 for a while, and while it ran pretty well, there are still too many things that don't quite work right.
                        Last edited by agallag; 11 September 2006, 20:42.
                        Lady, people aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard coated bastards with bastard filling. But I don't find them half as annoying as I find naive, bubble-headed optimists who walk around vomiting sunshine. -- Dr. Perry Cox

Comment

Originally posted by agallag
                          Why would the x86 version of XP only see 2GB of your RAM? I thought 32-bit XP supported 4GB. Have you tried putting the /pae switch in your boot.ini?

I know if you put 32-bit Server 2003 on a machine with 4GB, it'll see 3.5GB until you add that switch. Not sure why you'd only see 2GB.

Also, according to Paul Thurrot, the x64 version of vista is a compatibility nightmare. If you're using it for a specific purpose, and your apps are supported, it's fantastic. If you're using it as a general purpose machine, avoid it at all costs. I ran XP x64 for a while, and while it ran pretty well, there are still too many things that don't quite work right.
                          IIRC windows resesrves 2gb of addys for pagefile by default. in a 32bit OS 2gb = 1/2 max 4gb system memory.

64bit OSes don't have a 4gb software cap, but typical mobos don't support anything more than 4x1gb or 2x2gb.

edit: http://forums.murc.ws/showpost.php?p=598761&postcount=1 <- monster mobo supports 4x2gb ram
                          Last edited by lowlifecat; 11 September 2006, 20:59.
                          /meow
                          Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600
                          Asus Striker ][
                          8GB Corsair XMS2 DDR2 800 (4x2GB)
                          Asus EN8800GT 512MB x2(SLI)

I am C4tX0r, hear me mew!

Comment

Originally posted by lowlifecat
                            IIRC windows resesrves 2gb of addys for pagefile by default. in a 32bit OS 2gb = 1/2 max 4gb system memory.
                            Not quite. Windows reserves 2GB of virtual memory for kernel, and 2GB for user. You can muck around with the split using the /3GB switch in the boot.ini. However, virtual memory is not the same as physical memory. You should still see all 4GB of physical memory when you open your system properties.

Windows 2003 Enterprise can use up to 32GB of physical memory when using the /pae switch, even though you still only have 4GB of virtual memory. It's a bit of a hack the way they do it, but it's all they had before the 64 bit editions came out.
                            Last edited by agallag; 11 September 2006, 21:12.
                            Lady, people aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard coated bastards with bastard filling. But I don't find them half as annoying as I find naive, bubble-headed optimists who walk around vomiting sunshine. -- Dr. Perry Cox

Comment

FYI Vista RC1 is now a public beta
                              "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

Working...
                              X