Speaker placement & soundproofing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Speaker placement & soundproofing

My new place has a party wall in the main lounge where I'll be putting the hi-fi.

In order to least annoy the neighbours (and before I start playing with soundproofing on the party wall), is it best to place my speakers on heavy stands with about a foot from the party wall facing away from the neighbours, or put them on the other side of the room, (possibly wall mounted for greater rigidity) but have them pointing at the party wall but with a couch or two inbetween?
    NB, my speakers have front firing bass ports and I havent actually stuck my head behind them to see how much bass comes out the back.
    Athlon XP-64/3200, 1gb PC3200, 512mb Radeon X1950Pro AGP, Dell 2005fwp, Logitech G5, IBM model M.

What floor are you on ground / first?

If the floor is solid put them on stands, maybe the atacama se24, which you can load up with sand / lead shot.

If you have laminate flooring consider getting a rug or something to absorb some of the sound.

I have my dynaudio 52's wall mounted into a solid wall with some

Which are pretty heavy duty. I havent the space for stands in my bedroom.

I would put speakers in the best place for sound.

And not have the volume too high.

Comment

I've discovered that ever since I had kids and a real job and whatnot... the odds of me wanting to watch a movie really loud while the neighbors want to sleep... are practically nil. However, we also live in a HOUSE for exactly this reason.
      The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
      If only life were as easy as you
      I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
      If only life were as easy as you
      I would still get screwed

Comment

check out http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/forumdisplay.php?f=19 for how to do sound proofing .. I followed some of their advice and got a very good sound proofing installed in the ceiling between my brothers bedroom and ours
        We have enough youth - What we need is a fountain of smart!

i7-920, 6GB DDR3-1600, HD4870X2, Dell 27" LCD

Comment

Originally posted by Fluff
          What floor are you on ground / first?

If the floor is solid put them on stands, maybe the atacama se24, which you can load up with sand / lead shot.

If you have laminate flooring consider getting a rug or something to absorb some of the sound.
          Ground floor of a house.
          Sorry, HOUSE.

No laminate & no plans to install it. The place hasnt been lived in much and it's vacant posetion. The shagpile carpet in the lounge is real 70's stuff, it's about six inches deep
          I'm not selling my flat right away so I've got a chance to decorate, mow the carpet etc before I move in.
          Athlon XP-64/3200, 1gb PC3200, 512mb Radeon X1950Pro AGP, Dell 2005fwp, Logitech G5, IBM model M.

Comment

Originally posted by RichL
            mow the carpet

take before/after pics
            There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

If it's floor boards then I'd put down some phillips screws where the stands are to go and rest the spikes from the stands on the screw heads. You can then unscrew/screw them down to get the speakers level and not wobblying around
              When you own your own business you only have to work half a day. You can do anything you want with the other twelve hours.

Comment

I would get They have adjustable spikes/feet and have been pre filled with lead shot. Put a blob of blu tack on the top of the stand corners to secure the speakers.

Assuming you live in uk. They used to retail at 70gbp, the replacement new ones are 99gbp, but sonically no difference.

Comment

Working...
                X