Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Network planning (parents' place)

Hello!

My parents are planning to change their TV/music configuration, and a different networking scheme will be required. At the moment they don't have high speed internet; the cable modem is only used for digital television.

Currently, this is what they have:
    Garage: cable modem
    Living room: digibox (digital tv decoder)
    Office: computer (not connected to network)
    There is no cabling, so the digibox is connected with the modem using Powerline. But this is only 14 Mbps

Upcoming scheme:
    Garage: cable modem
    Living room: digibox + TV (with ethernet connection)
    Office: computer
    The TV has the ability to fetch photos from a networked PC, as well as video (if the network performs well enough).

For networking, I was thinking of adding the following equipment:
    Garage: wireless G-router
    Living room: wireless bridge
    PC: wifi adapter (PCI or USB)

I haven't found and 802.11a bridge, but this could improve performance.

As an alternative, there also is an 85 Mbps Powerline. Using this, I'd need
    Garage: powerline
    Living room: powerline + hub
    Office: powerline
    (but of course, one still won't have wireless with this configuration)

What would you guys do?
    The changes are planned for Februari, so there might even be time to wait for 802.11a and 802.11n devices.

Jörg
    Last edited by VJ; 5 September 2006, 02:38.
    pixar
    Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

My opinion is that you will never ever be happy with wireless. Unless 802.11n is somehow magically better than 802.11g, it will still suck for anything more than casual net surfing.

Is there some reason you're not just running cheap ethernet cable? It costs nearly nothing.
    The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
    If only life were as easy as you
    I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
    I would still get screwed

Comment

Originally posted by Gurm
      Is there some reason you're not just running cheap ethernet cable?
      Unless the cable can be added to the tube holding the TV-cable (which we need to check), we would have to break through walls. My parents don't want that.

Originally posted by Gurm
      My opinion is that you will never ever be happy with wireless.
      Sounds like a vote for the 200 Mbps powerline solution. :-)

Jörg
      pixar

Comment

Originally posted by VJ
        Unless the cable can be added to the tube holding the TV-cable (which we need to check), we would have to break through walls. My parents don't want that.
        Ahh well ok... *hrm*

Sounds like a vote for the 200 Mbps powerline solution. :-)
        Hey if that's what you want to do anyway, more power to ya! But my thoughts were simply that other than casual e-mail and web browsing, wireless makes people unhappy. With good hardware, usually it works ok - my laptop has an EXCELLENT wireless card, and there's very little crosstalk in my house. Nevertheless, sometimes even though it SAYS 54mbit, and SAYS excellent connection... I get dial-up speeds until I re-establish the connection.
        The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
        I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
        I would still get screwed

Comment

Well, I'm not sure what to do... (hence this thread)

I've had little issues with wifi, but I only use it in limited range. Ideal situation would be to just add ethernet cabling, but I'm not sure if there is room to do so.

Jörg
          pixar

Comment

I ran Ethernet around the outside of my house, to provide sockets in my kids room and in the lounge for the htpc (cos wifi was crap as Gurm said). I was able to keep it tucked away discretely for the most part and it cost very little.

I can lend you a 12" drill and pipe detector if you like?
            FT.

Comment

If they're going to stream multimedia over the network then go wired gigabit. If not then 100 mbps cat5 should be enough. Wireless is convenient, but slower and security is always an issue. Leaving a system on becomes not just a waste of power but a risk to the network.
              Dr. Mordrid
              ----------------------------
              An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

Who needs a pipe detector! If the wall feels warm then you've hit hot water. If you feel a tingle then you've hit power. If you hear hissing RUN!

I've drilled through the first two (on more than once).

I use WiFi for my main PC, but my xbox is cabled to the fileserver to ensure uninterupted streaming.
                The Welsh support two teams when it comes to rugby. Wales of course, and anyone else playing England

Comment

I've hit power when using a cordless drill, NTL hit my hot water!
                  FT.

Comment

Finds water pipes, conduit, wiring, studs (even in concrete), electric fields....

Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 7 September 2006, 10:37.
                    Dr. Mordrid
                    ----------------------------
                    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

My electric problem was because I assumed the house wiring went in a logical, straight, path, like the regs say it should.

NTL did use something simillar to the above, but it failed to find my microbore (10mm copper) pipe. I have a metal/stud detector that is wedge shaped, but it has never been satisfactory. A good one here is twice your price.
                      FT.

Comment

The pipes I drilled thrugh were too deep to be detected
                        The Welsh support two teams when it comes to rugby. Wales of course, and anyone else playing England

Comment

Originally posted by Fat Tone
                          I ran Ethernet around the outside of my house, to provide sockets in my kids room and in the lounge for the htpc (cos wifi was crap as Gurm said). I was able to keep it tucked away discretely for the most part and it cost very little.

I can lend you a 12" drill and pipe detector if you like?
                          Thanks!
                          But it is not an option (the TV-place is on an inside wall).

So I'm looking at:
                          1. Pull ethernet cable along with the TV cable (provide there is room)
                          2. 200 mbit ethernet over power cable
                          3. wireless (802.11a performs better than 802.11g for video, according to the Philips manual )

Currently, I'm leaning towards the 2nd options, as it seems to be the solution requiring the least work and still providing one of the fastest connections (TV is only 100 mbit anyway).

Jörg
                          pixar

Comment

Working...
                          X