William Gibson

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• William Gibson

So I'm re-reading all the Gibson novels... I sort of petered out last time, and although I kept buying them I stopped reading them around about "Virtual Light". So this time I'm plowing through.

And I'm getting a LOT more out of them. First of all, it's DISTURBING to see just how right he was about the direction of technology. I mean REALLY right in an unsettling kind of way. With a lot of science fiction, when you read it 20 years later you have to chuckle and force yourself to ignore the fact that we're already past that - Asimov writes about the year 2010 and people being unreachable because they're not near a phone... *ahem*

But not Gibson. He just plain got it RIGHT. Transdermal delivery of drugs (legal and illegal), pervasive cell phone use, bioengineering, the ridiculous rise of corporate power - and the increasing helplessness of government to curtail it - the staggering change in morals and attitudes that comes with rampant increases in technology.

What staggers me is the increasing sense of identification that I have with some of the characters. They look at a young, hotshot cyber cowboy and say "can you even read?" There's just this phenomenal disconnect between the learned and the masses, that is growing every year. How many 18 year olds can give you even the most rudimentary idea of how a cell phone works? Or a computer? Or, heaven help us, a television? The growing disconnect between the people that make technology happen and the people that use it... is a fascinating, if somewhat frustrating, topic.

And Gibson just GETS it. Or rather, GOT it - since the first few of his books were written in the early 80's! In much science-fiction, you have a hard time separating the science... from the fiction. In Gibson's world, you immediately identify with the characters. They aren't biochemical engineers. They aren't software designers. They're average people living in an increasingly technological, dirty, unfriendly world.

---------------------------------

Not to mention, the man INVENTED cyberspace.

Ok, rant mode off. Just thought I'd share.
    The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
    If only life were as easy as you
    I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
    I would still get screwed

I think I've heard the name before. Was there a computer adventure about one of his books, maybe? (I'm reading another book ATM, so I won't be buying a Gibson just yet - but I might, if somebody would recommend one).
    There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

Read Neuromancer some time ago. Enjoyed it. Well written.

Virtual Light is sitting on the bookshelf waiting for me to start it. Might do that tonight Thanks Gurmie for reminding me...
      DM says: Crunch with Matrox Users@ClimatePrediction.net

Comment

Originally posted by GNEP
        Read Neuromancer some time ago. Enjoyed it. Well written.

Virtual Light is sitting on the bookshelf waiting for me to start it. Might do that tonight Thanks Gurmie for reminding me...
        I think you ought to read them in order, don't jump around. He builds, at least for the first few books, on the previous ones. "Count Zero" happens about 10 years after "Neuromancer", which in turn happens a couple years after "Johnny Mnemonic" (although JM works well as part of "Burning Chrome", which was published well after "Neuromancer").
        Last edited by Gurm; 4 September 2006, 08:06.
        The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

Comment

Originally posted by az
          I think I've heard the name before. Was there a computer adventure about one of his books, maybe? (I'm reading another book ATM, so I won't be buying a Gibson just yet - but I might, if somebody would recommend one).
          You start with Neuromancer, and proceed as follows:

Neuromancer
          Count Zero
          ~~ Burning Chrome ~~
          ** Johnny Mnemonic **
          Mona Lisa Overdrive
          Virtual Light
          Idoru
          All Tomorrow's Parties
          Pattern Recognition

~~ Burning Chrome is a collection of short stories, some of which coexist in the same universe as the other books, and some of which don't. He collaborated with Bruce Sterling on a coupe of them, so they're not strictly speaking part of the flow of things. Many of them were published as early as 1980 and 1981, and thus either predate/precede or are disconnected from his larger works.

** Johnny Mnemonic is a short story originally included in "Burning Chrome", and alluded to in "Neuromancer"... and including some of the characters from the larger books. If you don't want to know how the characters in Johnny Mnemonic end up, you'd be advised to tackle it first... but really it's not THAT necessary, and might be confusing. The short story was later turned into a screenplay, which was then turned into a novel. The novel is horrid, the screenplay is... obtuse. Gibson's world is a bit too confusing to be easily translated into a movie, although I'd still love to see Neuromancer or Count Zero done up properly with a big budget.

Comment

Originally posted by az

Neuromancer invented the whole Cyberpunk world and was the first novel to win the sci-fi triple crown: the Nebula, Hugo and Philip K. Dick Memorial awards. A classic.

Count Zero (Neuromancer's part II), Mona Lisa Overdrive (part III); Virtual Light, Idoru, All Tomorrow's Parties (last 3 = the 'Bridge Trilogy'); Burning Chrome, The Difference Engine, Pattern Recognition....pick one

Movies: "Johnny Mnemonic" (short story from Burning Chrome) and "New Rose Hotel" (short from Omni magazine)

TV: X-Files episodes "Kill Switch" and "First Person Shooter"
            Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 4 September 2006, 08:20.
            Dr. Mordrid
            ----------------------------
            An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

Originally posted by Dr Mordrid

Neuromancer invented the whole Cyberpunk world and was the first novel to win the triple crown: the Nebula, Hugo and Philip K. Dick Memorial awards. A classic.

Count Zero (Neuromancer's sequal), Mona Lisa Overdrive (part III), Idoru, Virtual Light, Burning Chrome, The Difference Engine, Pattern Recognition....pick one
              Eeep, "The Difference Engine" would scare most readers away. It's... dry. AWESOME concept*, but hard to get into. The Gibson/Sterling collaborations are ... NOT synergistic. While I love Sterling, and I love Gibson... when they work together things get... muddled.

----------

* The concept of "The Difference Engine" is thus - when Charles Babbage fired up his "difference engine", the world's first computer, it didn't work. It was too complex and bulky. (It was, after all, completely mechanical!) But ... what if it HAD? We would have entered the information age... over a century early! Imagine a world of mechanical computing devices, gigantic monitors comprised of rotating colored "pixels" in multiple colors, and rapid expansion of knowledge - all without the benefit of electricity!

Comment

Had no problem with it
                Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Pattern Recognition is badass. Neuromancer is badass. I actually brought the same copy of Neuromancer out here that I had shipped to me during OIF1. muahahaa.

I believe that some of what Gibson wrote about was simply going to happen anyways - the rise of corporate power as it is has been happening on a smaller scale since America declared independance. It is quite fractal...

Other parts of it... I think a lot of what we are seeing now with computers and technology is coming from people who read Gibson 10-15 years ago, or have been influenced by things influenced by him... Reality imitating SciFi...

interesting note... sometime, read old Heinlein novels. It's kinda amusing in that while the vocabulary (it simply didn't exist to describe his ideas) and small technical details are off (lots of knobs and switches, for instance), some of the concepts are still there...

anyways...
                  "And yet, after spending 20+ years trying to evolve the user interface into something better, what's the most powerful improvement Apple was able to make? They finally put a god damned shell back in." -jwz

Comment

Originally posted by DGhost
                    I believe that some of what Gibson wrote about was simply going to happen anyways - the rise of corporate power as it is has been happening on a smaller scale since America declared independance. It is quite fractal...
                    Yes, agreed. Some people were just more astute at noticing it and following it to its logical extreme.

Other parts of it... I think a lot of what we are seeing now with computers and technology is coming from people who read Gibson 10-15 years ago, or have been influenced by things influenced by him... Reality imitating SciFi...
                    Well this is known to be true in some cases, but in others... not so much. I really doubt that the people working on transdermal delivery systems for drugs were tapping that idea from Gibson, y'know? But I suppose I could be wrong.

interesting note... sometime, read old Heinlein novels. It's kinda amusing in that while the vocabulary (it simply didn't exist to describe his ideas) and small technical details are off (lots of knobs and switches, for instance), some of the concepts are still there...
                    Well that's just the thing. I EXPECT to go into old sci-fi with my "suspension of disbelief" filter in full force, looking for knobs and switches, dials, hardwired phones, etc. Dick is a lot like that - lots of stuff that makes you think, but he goes on and on about poring through prinouts and punch cards and stuff. Gibson is still futuristic, and the last 25 years have only gotten us CLOSER to what he wrote, not past it in some ways. I mean, most writers 25 or 30 or 50 years ago couldn't foresee the miniaturization wave that would come, so you have a lot of descriptions of room-sized computers and tape recorders and whatnot.

But not so here. In Neuromancer, the only thing that made me chuckle a little was Gibson's misuse of the term RAM right at the beginning (Case is trying to fence some hot RAM with some crazy data on it, apparently), although you could forgive that since we now have thumb drives which are really flash RAM.

Comment

Originally posted by DGhost

anyways...
                      "Number of the Beast"
                      Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 4 September 2006, 12:59.
                      Dr. Mordrid

Comment

I've only read "Stranger in a Strange Land". Interesting.
                        There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

Originally posted by az
                          I've only read "Stranger in a Strange Land". Interesting.
                          While arguably his most famous work, perhaps one of my least favorite.

Comment

Originally posted by Gurm
                            Well this is known to be true in some cases, but in others... not so much. I really doubt that the people working on transdermal delivery systems for drugs were tapping that idea from Gibson, y'know? But I suppose I could be wrong.
                            Transdermal delivery systems? They got the idea from Dr. Mc Coy in Star Trek.. 1966.

Comment

Originally posted by KvHagedorn
                              Transdermal delivery systems? They got the idea from Dr. Mc Coy in Star Trek.. 1966.
                              Heh. Wasn't it always hyposprays in Star Trek? I'd still like to see that implemented.

Comment

Working...
                              X