Collapse
No announcement yet.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I was 38 yesterday. Spent all day plumbing.

Anyway, its getting awful close to 40, and makes me think about lifes journey. I'm married (not doing that again ) have two kids (won't be having any more), have a nice house and an ok job. Can't say I feel 'rich' but certainly more comfortable (and a lot luckier) than many.

Is that it? Have I peaked? Should I have peaked by now? Do people get where they are going sometime in their 30s? Should I keep pushing for 'more'? I dunno. Birthdays always get to me a bit.
    FT.

Nawww....you haven't lived until you have grandkids you can spoil the hell out of and send back home fat & sloppy.

Revenge is sweet
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

I haven't peaked yet, and I'm nearly twice your age! If, by 'more', you mean material things, then you already have it made. OTOH, if you mean the art of life, then you should never stop, as long as you're mentally and physically able. If you mean career-wise, the most satisfying and useful work I did was between 58 and 72.

I think the best thing one can do is to remain intellectually active and to pass on your knowledge to those younger than yourself.
      Brian (the devil incarnate)

Comment

Congrats and Happy Birthday.

Don't worry.. at least you're on schedule.

Comment

Sorry I missed it mate. HBD!
          The Welsh support two teams when it comes to rugby. Wales of course, and anyone else playing England

Comment

Happy Birthday Tony.

The fun doesn't end at 40 unless you want it to.
            Yeah, well I'm gonna build my own lunar space lander! With blackjack aaaaannd Hookers! Actually, forget the space lander, and the blackjack. Ahhhh forget the whole thing!

Comment

Herzlichen Glückwunsch zum Geburtstag, Tony

I'm not quite there yet, but I see no reason why life should be less interesting at 40 than at 25. It's what you make of it, and I bet with 40 I'll have the wisdom to enjoy things much more than I can now.
              There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

Forget it. Life is over.

(Where's my custom title?)
                Join MURCs Distributed Computing effort for Rosetta@Home and help fight Alzheimers, Cancer, Mad Cow disease and rising oil prices.
                [...]the pervading principle and abiding test of good breeding is the requirement of a substantial and patent waste of time. - Veblen

Comment

Gelukkige verjaardag!

You haven't peaked till you made it MURC moderator. After that, there is not much more that can be accomplished...

Jörg
                  pixar
                  Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Comment

Thanks guys.

I realise now this looks like a 'wish me happy birthday' thread, but it wasn't (I forgive you all, its probably my fault for having a birthday on a Sunday anyway ) but about taking stock at a certain point in life. I think I am officially middle-aged now, although 76 would be a particularly good innings for my family.

Brian, I meant all of those things. As you say, I already have it pretty good. All I really want is happinness and security. I can live without new cars and the like as long as I can guarantee a roof over my head and a happy healthy family. I certainly want my job to be interesting and useful. In my field you have to keep learning and pushing to keep up, so it is rarely dull. When do you expect to 'peak'?
                    FT.

Comment

Possibly between 99 and 100

Comment

LOL
                        FT.

Comment

Happy Birthday
                          Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

Comment

Happy Birthday!

Originally posted by Brian Ellis
                            Possibly between 99 and 100
                            And here I was hoping that'd be when I got put in a nice teak box
                            “And, remember: there's no 'I' in 'irony'” ~ Merlin Mann

Comment

Originally posted by Jesterzwild
                              And here I was hoping that'd be when I got put in a nice teak box
                              Teak is a protected species. Home-grown pine would be more environmentally-friendly! Better still, leave your body to medical science and you don't need any box and you can save yourself (or rather those you leave behind) a mountain of money in funeral expenses.

Comment

Working...
                              X