Star Trek: TOS - Remastered

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Star Trek: TOS - Remastered

Star Trek journeys to the 21st century as the Original Series returns to broadcast syndication for the first time in 16 years with brand-new digitally remastered episodes to celebrate its 40th anniversary.

CBS Paramount Domestic Television has officially announced that they are releasing digitally remastered episodes of Star Trek, with all new special effects and music, to celebrate the groundbreaking series' 40th anniversary, according to John Nogawski, president of CBS Paramount Domestic Television.

The Star Trek episodes will begin airing on the more than 200 stations that own the rights to the weekend broadcast syndication window starting September 16. (As always, please check your local listings for station and dates.) The plan is for all 79 episodes of the Original Series to be remastered, with the first batch of episodes chosen from a list of Star Trek fans' favorite shows.
    With the complete running order to be determined, the syndication schedule won't follow the classic air-date order or production order format familiar to fans. The first episode to air will be the Season One classic "Balance of Terror." "That gives us a chance to really show off the 'new' Enterprise," says Mike Okuda, 18-year veteran of the Star Trek art department and one of the supervisors on this project. His comments and more can be found in next week's TV Guide and online here. For a "first look" at the CGI Enterprise, the magazine's website has this image.

"Star Trek redefined science-fiction and constantly pushed the envelope with concepts that were ahead of their time," Nogawski said. "By giving the series a digital upgrade using the best technology available today, it will continue to be a leader in cutting-edge television programming as we introduce the series to a new generation of viewers."

The most noticeable change will be redoing many of the special effects, created with 1960s technology, with 21st century computer-generated imagery (CGI). Upgrades include:

* Space ship exteriors – The Enterprise, as well as other starships, will be replaced with state of the art CGI-created ships. The new computer-generated Enterprise is based on the exact measurements of the original model, which now rests in the Smithsonian Institution in Washington, D.C.
    * Show opening – The Enterprise and planets seen in the main title sequence will be redone, giving them depth and dimension for the first time.
    * Galaxy shots – All the graphics of the galaxy, so frequently seen through the viewscreen on the Enterprise's bridge, will be redone.
    * Exteriors – The battle scenes, planets and ships from other cultures (notably the Romulan Bird of Prey and Klingon Battle Cruisers) will be updated.
    * Background scenes – Some of the iconic, yet flat, matte paintings used as backdrops for the strange, new worlds explored by the Enterprise crew will get a CGI face-lift, adding atmosphere and lighting.

The refurbished episodes also feature higher quality sound for the famous opening theme. The original score by Emmy Award-winning composer Alexander Courage, has been re-recorded in state-of-the-art digital stereo audio with an orchestra and a female singer belting out the famous vocals. A digitally remastered version of William Shatner's classic original recording of the 38-word "Space, the final frontier..." monologue continues to open each episode.

The remastered episodes have been converted from the original film into a High-Definition format, which gives viewers a clearer, crisper, more vibrant picture than before, even when viewed in standard definition. Once stations upgrade and start broadcasting HD signals, the episodes will be all ready for viewers to enjoy in HD.

I see they are starting it with "The Enemy Below."
    Er, I mean, "Balance of Terror."

Good episode.
    I hope they pull it off.
    Chuck
    秋音的爸爸

Comment

BTW, for a long time I want to see TOS (it never, ever aired here). However, from what I know, part of episodes is very good, and party of them very bad. Do you know some webpage/guide which would list "episodes worth seeing"?

Comment

EVERY EPISODE! How dare you imply that any episode of TOS isn't worth seeing!

For a sampler, I'd recommend Arena, The Corbomite Maneuver, and The Immunity Syndrome, and because they can't all be good, Spock's Brain for a laugh.

Comment

You know how people reacted to messing with Star Wars.. I bet this will piss off a lot of Trekkies. Part of the fun was the campy sets and basic effects. Bleah.

It was done on 35mm film.. just transfer the original negatives to HD and you're done. Why do people have to mess with this?

Comment

Well, it's not like they didn't release the original versions on DVD, multiple times, so the Star Wars comparasion isn't quite accurate.

Comment

How else movie company is supposed to milk more money out of it, KvH?

Comment

Nononono!!! I actually prefer some of the special effects from the TOS. Sure, they're cheezy by todays standards. But they have a retro charm that any of the new series' have failed to capture.

The old Enterprise in those old episodes actually LOOKs like a ship. Newer models, and their cgi counterparts, look slightly cartoonish.

The old phaser disintegration effect struck me as a better representation of carefully controlled raw violent destruction than the later disintegration effects.

The only ways there has been substantial improvement between the old and the new is in the set design and the acting. The rest is just window dressing.

Kevin

Comment

Originally posted by Nowhere
                  BTW, for a long time I want to see TOS (it never, ever aired here). However, from what I know, part of episodes is very good, and party of them very bad. Do you know some webpage/guide which would list "episodes worth seeing"?
                  The whole series is terrible if you try to take it seriously.
                  There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

I beg to differ.

Many stories, including 'Balance of Terror', were and still highly regarded. Many were written by the best Sci-Fi writers of that time and others were excellent social pieces. When Nichelle Nichols (Uhuru) considered leaving the show early on Dr. Martin Luther King was the one who talked her out of it because of the positive social implications of her role.
                    Dr. Mordrid
                    ----------------------------
                    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

Hey, anything they can do to eliminate "warp rot" sounds good to me.

Warp rot is, of course, a common phenomena that occurs when spacecraft travel at superluminal velocities. It typically results in large portions of the vehicle, particularly the warp nacelles, literally rotting away into space as if attacked by a disease. See this small mpeg video for a demonstration of warp rot effecting primarily the starboard warp nacelle. Some seers and other visionaries that claim to have knowledge from beyond the universe indicate that it is a result of bad luma keying or other special effects flaws, but that of course makes no sense.

Comment

Originally posted by Dr Mordrid
                        I beg to differ.

Many stories, including 'Balance of Terror', were and still highly regarded. Many were written by the best Sci-Fi writers of that time and others were excellent social pieces. When Nichelle Nichols (Uhuru) considered leaving the show early on Dr. Martin Luther King was the one who talked her out of it because of the positive social implications of her role.
                        Yep,thats true,and Captain Kirk (W.Shatner)was the first white actor to kiss a black actress (Nichelle Nichols) on US TV. !

Oh and btw. in german TV Uhuru was called Uhura
                        Last edited by Faramir1966; 3 September 2006, 04:17.
                        ASUS P5B-E ;2GB G.Skill DDR2 Ram; C2D6420;lub 3D X1950pro ;SoundBlaster X-Fi;WinXP

Comment

Originally posted by Faramir1966
                          Oh and btw. in german TV Uhuru was called Uhura
                          On American TV, too.
                          The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
                          If only life were as easy as you
                          I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
                          If only life were as easy as you
                          I would still get screwed

Comment

I can see no problem with the originals. But as you say, they need to spin more money out of it.
                            The Welsh support two teams when it comes to rugby. Wales of course, and anyone else playing England

Comment

I'm reviving this thread because I've finally had a chance to see a few episodes of the "remastered" ST:TOS, and because I have a little crow to dine on.

I have to admit the redone special effects ARE an improvement. Mainly because I think the producers of the remastered TOS took a lesson from George Lucas and kept the enhancements low-key. They held to the philosophy of "less is more" and concentrated on detail rather than glitz.

In fact, bro-in-law Wally has been watching the remastered episodes for several months now and never realized that they were remastered at all!

That's not to say the ORIGINAL TOS isn't still a heck of a lot of fun to watch. In general, almost ANY Star Trek is worth watching, remastered or not. (I say almost because frankly I don't care if I never see an episode of "Enterprise" or "ST V: The Final Frontier" again.)

As far as best ST: TOS episodes are concerned, I'm reminded of a line from the Futurama episode "Where No Fan Has Gone Before" when Fry is talking to Leonard Nimoy's head: "You know...79 episodes, about 30 GOOD ones..." Fry's right. I added up my own personal list and came up with 31 GOOD episodes of TOS. Nearly all from season one, a handful from season two, and NONE from season three!

Kevin

Comment

Working...
                              X