Air Cars

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Air Cars

no this isn't a flying car rather a car that runs on compressed air.

Saw a mini-documentary about this on Discovery channel. thought i'd bring it up since Jerry has been flood posting in the electric car thread.

On the 20th September a car with an air-compressed engine, invented by the Frenchman Guy Nègre, will be presented in London. The presentation will take place at 10 am in the Millennium Hotel (17 Sloane Street, Knightsbridge, London SW1). The aim of the event is to present MDI´s technology to the public before its imminent arrival on the market and to offer to businessmen and institutions the chance to take part in establishing the factories in the UK.

One of the many challenges of today's society is maintaining our lifestyle with minimal repercussions to the environment. This is why Guy Nègre has invented a "zero pollution" car which involves no combustion.

The MDI car can reach a speed of 68 mph and has a road coverage of roughly 124 miles -some 8 hours of travel- which is more than double the road coverage of an electric car. When recharging the tank, the car needs to be connected to the mains (220V) for 3 to 4 hours or attached to an air pump in a petrol station for only 2 minutes.

Economy and the ecological benefits are the main advantages for the client since the car´s maintenance cost is 10 times less than that of a petrol-run car, costing 1 pound for the car to travel for up to 8 hours or to cover 124 miles in an Urban area.

How does it work?

90m3 of compressed air is stored in fibre tanks. The expansion of this air pushes the pistons and creates movement. The atmospheric temperature is used to re-heat the engine and increase the road coverage. The air conditioning system makes use of the expelled cold air. Due to the absence of combustion and the fact there is no pollution, the oil change is only necessary every 31.000 miles.

At the moment, four models have been made: a car, a taxi (5 passengers), a Pick-Up truck and a van. The final selling price will be approximately 5.500 pounds.

The Company

"Moteur Development International" (MDI) is a company founded in Luxembourg, based in the south of France and with its Commercial Office in Barcelona. MDI has researched and developed the Air Car over 10 years and the technology is protected by more than 30 International patents.

MDI´s expansion has just begun and they have already signed 50 factories in Europe, America and Asia. The company is offering 20 licences in the UK as exclusive manufacturing areas for cars as well as offering other licences in the nautical and public transport sectors.

The Factory

It is predicted that the factory will produce 3.000 cars each year, with 70 staff working only one 8-hour shift a day. If there were 3 shifts some 9.000 cars could be produced a year.

MDI is undertaking a long-term franchise business. The graphs show an important profit margin, which will be increased by the subsequent exclusive spare-parts market.

You can find more information on the Web page: www.theaircar.com or telephone +34 93 362 37 00
    /meow
    Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600
    Asus Striker ][
    8GB Corsair XMS2 DDR2 800 (4x2GB)
    Asus EN8800GT 512MB x2(SLI)

I am C4tX0r, hear me mew!

Whether you like it or not, this is still an electric car, only the chemical battery has been replaced by a compressed air one. It therefore suffers from all the problems mentioned in the other thread plus many more of its own.

The only problem is that it is horrendously inefficient. To compress air, most of the mechanical energy is converted into heat, through adiabatic compression. That heat is wasted energy. There ain't no sich animal as an isothermal compressor. Anyone who has inflated a bicycle tyre with a hand-held pump knows that vigorous pumping will make the pump too hot to handle at just ~6 bars.

What size are the tanks? Internally, they cannot be practically larger than about ¼ m3, so the air pressure, at charge, has to be about 360 bars, which is one helluva pressure. A typical airline at a filling station is 8-10 bars, so "attached to an air pump in a petrol station for only 2 minutes" is a load of codswallop.

IMHO, the whole thing is in cloud-cuckoo land and I suspect that they are wanting to franchise because they know damn well that it cannot work efficiently, so they make their money by hoodwinking others to assume all the problems.
    Brian (the devil incarnate)

Comment

Maybe its only a pipe dream, but if you can sell me a car for £5.5k that will work as a family run-around and cost almost nothing to run, I WANT ONE.
      FT.

Comment

IIRC it holds ~300bars. it's tanks are bullet and crash proof, tested and verified by Airbus.

if this takes it off people are gonna end up paying through the teeth for air at the local pump station. capitalism at it's finest.
        /meow
        Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600
        Asus Striker ][
        8GB Corsair XMS2 DDR2 800 (4x2GB)
        Asus EN8800GT 512MB x2(SLI)

I am C4tX0r, hear me mew!

Comment

Originally posted by lowlifecat
          If this takes it off people are gonna end up paying through the teeth for air at the local pump station. capitalism at it's finest.
          I don't know about that. There's lots of scope for businesses to offer compressed air without being locked into the traditional petroleum-product model.

It does concern me that if everyone starts charging tanks at home overnight, I'll never get any sleep! Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr........
          FT.

Comment

Working...
          X