X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The end of an era...

Yep.
    It's true.

For the first time since my original 4 meg Millennium, my main rig is without a Matrox card

Millennium, Mill2, G200, G400, G450, G550, Parhelia....shiny new 512meg AGP Radeon 1600xt...

I miss powerdesk...REALLY miss my 3rd monitor (will prob put my Mill2 in to run it)...but WOW, what a difference in games (duh).

So a fond farewell to M (at least for now)
    Core2 Duo E7500 2.93, Asus P5Q Pro Turbo, 4gig 1066 DDR2, 1gig Asus ENGTS250, SB X-Fi Gamer ,WD Caviar Black 1tb, Plextor PX-880SA, Dual Samsung 2494s

Got an ATi in here too .. my oldest system system has a G200 init, but all other cards were given away to those with less for example: G550 replaced a TNT2 card that we all thought was a dying monitor issue... nope the monitor was just fine, washed out graphics were due to crap filters... good thing this is a granny's system cuz the TnT2 worked better than the G550 in games her grand kids sometimes played when they visited
    "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

I have heard that powerspace works even if you have just one matrox card in your system. Across all screens.

Comment

I still have two Matrox cards in my rig at the office but I'm spec'ing a new Conroe based system and it's going to have two nVidia based cards.

I just pulled the P650 PCI card from my home PC to get it repaired and it's probably not going back in that system when I get it back.

It is the end of an era.

I hope/wish matrox would get there act together for Vista.
        P.S. You've been Spanked!

Comment

I'd also hope for a DX9 Matrox part...i couldn't care less about 3D gaming, provided it could do the Aero interface and HD video decoding with reasonable success.

Is it possible that they'll never release a graphics card again? And just focus on TH2GO or RT.X type things?
          All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy.

Comment

Originally posted by lecter
            Is it possible that they'll never release a graphics card again? And just focus on TH2GO or RT.X type things?
            Or that they'll just fade into obscurity, every area of their business having been eclipsed by more capable companies? *sad*
            The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
            If only life were as easy as you
            I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
            If only life were as easy as you
            I would still get screwed

Comment

And anyway...why you'd want a new Matrox card when most/all of you has/wants to have LCD monitors? Analog output quality is for some time the only real advantage of Matrox...
              Last edited by Nowhere; 31 August 2006, 20:15.

Comment

I've not run dual head with an nVidia or ATI card before so I can't attest to this personally but I've heard, and I think that Doc has even recently mentioned, that Matrox is the only brand that has proper simultaneous video acceleration on both heads. Granted, they don't have acceleration for HD video, but that's another story.

Comment

Originally posted by Kruzin
                  Yep.
                  It's true.

For the first time since my original 4 meg Millennium, my main rig is without a Matrox card

Millennium, Mill2, G200, G400, G450, G550, Parhelia....shiny new 512meg AGP Radeon 1600xt...

I miss powerdesk...REALLY miss my 3rd monitor (will prob put my Mill2 in to run it)...but WOW, what a difference in games (duh).

So a fond farewell to M (at least for now)
                  Hey Kruzin, get yourself the Matrox Triple Head to Go and get your third monitor back

Cheers,
                  Elie

Comment

I still have to get my G400 MAX back in action in a HTPC case...

Parhelias here are still waaaaaayyyyyyyyyyyy overpriced...

Will definately be going ATi again next round tho.
                    This Nv card really has worse image quality than when i had my 9500pro...

And i really DO hope that Matrox has at least ONE last card up their sleeve..the could've actually been working all this time on a new part.(um, prob wishful thinking, but some people will virtually never lose hope...)
                    PC-1 Fractal Design Arc Mini R2, 3800X, Asus B450M-PRO mATX, 2x8GB B-die@3800C16, AMD Vega64, Seasonic 850W Gold, Black Ice Nemesis/Laing DDC/EKWB 240 Loop (VRM>CPU>GPU), Noctua Fans.
                    Nas : i3/itx/2x4GB/8x4TB BTRFS/Raid6 (7 + Hotspare) Xpenology
                    +++ : FSP Nano 800VA (Pi's+switch) + 1600VA (PC-1+Nas)

Comment

I just built a new Conroe based dev rig and I put in 2 nVidia 7600GT based PCIe cards to drive 3 monitors independantly.

The IQ at high resolution is so much worse than with Matrox. I'm kinda disappointed.

I used to run one of my screens @ 2048x1536 and it was crystal clear but with these nV cards the best I can do is 1600x1200 if I actually want to be able to read anything.

Comment

Originally posted by Nowhere
                        And anyway...why you'd want a new Matrox card when most/all of you has/wants to have LCD monitors? Analog output quality is for some time the only real advantage of Matrox...
                        And really, When I went to the ATI X800XT, I noticed very little, if any difference in analog picture quality. The Parhelia might have been a hair better, but only the thinnest of hairs.

I still use the G400MAX in my secondary computer (wow, the thing is 7 years old now) still works just fine, btw.

Comment

Originally posted by KvHagedorn
                          I still use the G400MAX in my secondary computer (wow, the thing is 7 years old now) still works just fine, btw.
                          Same here. My G400MAX also is still running - in my wife's PC.
                          Asus H97 Pro Gamer| Intel i5 4690K| Noctua NH-U9B SE2 | Gigabyte GTX 1060 Windforce 3GB | Soundblaster ZxR | 8 GB Kingston HyperX Genesis DDR3 1600| LG 24 MP88HV-S

Comment

I'm still using it in my main computer

Comment

I just threw my G400MAX back into a Pentium III 600. I totally reconstructed my computer from 1999 lol. Exactly, except for the hard drive, case, and PSU. Heh. I wanted to play some classic UT with a classic style (heh). Well, it was fun to do. The G400 was pulling it's usual ~40-50fps at 32-bit 1024x768. All the classy z-buffer errors were there too just like I remember 'em!!!!

RIP Matrox.

Comment

Working...
                              X