Off-site backup service/software?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Off-site backup service/software?

Any recommendations for either an off-site data backup service or suitable software so I could do it myself for a client?

Total data is 32GB, incrementing by ~10MB/week.

Many TAs

T.
    FT.

It's pretty cost-ineffective. After a short time of doing off-site backups, you would have spent enough to have just bought an LTO drive instead.
    The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
    If only life were as easy as you
    I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
    I would still get screwed

Comment

You are missing the point. Off-site backups ensure that the business can continue should you lose the equipment, for whatever reason.
      FT.

Comment

I guess you could try them: http://www.xosoft.com/
        "For every action, there is an equal and opposite criticism."

Comment

Originally posted by Fat Tone
          You are missing the point. Off-site backups ensure that the business can continue should you lose the equipment, for whatever reason.
          Doesn't taking the tape home every night achieve the same thing

Presonally I wouldn't trust my data to another company who could go bust or worse be hacked
          When you own your own business you only have to work half a day. You can do anything you want with the other twelve hours.

Comment

Originally posted by Taz
            Doesn't taking the tape home every night achieve the same thing

Presonally I wouldn't trust my data to another company who could go bust or worse be hacked
            BINGO! Most cost effective solution? MIS employee takes home the tapes. It's what 99% of companies do.
            The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
            I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
            I would still get screwed

Comment

Well - you could sign up for a cheap web hosting service, and use rsync or the like to transfer files.

I have DreamHost (sign up with me as the referrer, and I get reward money http://www.dreamhost.com/r.cgi?80098 ) - their level 3 plan (Code Monster) is $20/month, and you get 60 GB storage and 1.6TB transfer per month. Those limits also increase weekly (by 480M and 16G/mo, respectively), so you won't run out of space. There's a discount if you prepay - no setup fee and 20% off.

The nice thing is that you can also set up multiple domains, so the same fee that gets you network backup also provides web hosting

I've been happy with them so far (been there about the last 18 months).

- Steve

Comment

We use a vault in our parking garage across the street.
                How about a safety deposit box at the bank for your tapes?
                Chuck
                秋音的爸爸

Comment

A gig or so of webspace then set a folder on it as an FTP network drive. Then the backup s/w can use it like any other drive, saving the backups there.
                  Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 30 August 2006, 10:12.
                  Dr. Mordrid
                  ----------------------------
                  An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

Working...
                  X