Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Study: NSAID's tied to baby heart defects....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Study: NSAID's tied to baby heart defects....

First Trimester Use Of NSAIDs Is Associated With Cardiac Abnormalities In Babies

Women who take non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) early in their pregnancies may be more likely to give birth to babies with congenital defects, particularly cardiac septal defects. These are the findings of a case-control study published in the August issue of Birth Defects Research Part B, a journal published by John Wiley & Sons.

Many pregnant women get prescriptions for NSAIDs during their first trimester, and even more--up to 15 percent--take over-the-counter versions of these drugs. Previous studies have shown that taking NSAIDs toward the end of a pregnancy can cause certain circulatory problems--premature closure of the ductus arteriosus and patent ductus arteriosus, but the risks related to early-pregnancy ingestion are less well defined.
    >
    >
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Wasn't there a discussion on MURC about 2 months back where you warned against using paracetamol and suggested some NSAID instead?
    Join MURCs Distributed Computing effort for Rosetta@Home and help fight Alzheimers, Cancer, Mad Cow disease and rising oil prices.
    [...]the pervading principle and abiding test of good breeding is the requirement of a substantial and patent waste of time. - Veblen

Comment

People should take as few medications as possible.. especially women when pregnant. You never know what's going to happen.

Comment

Yes. The previous thread covered the connection between acetomenophen and liver damage, which can happen to anyone. The NSAID issue in this post is only a factor for pregnant women, who should avoid many, many 'normal' things especially in the first trimester. This just adds one more to the list.
        Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 29 August 2006, 08:34.
        Dr. Mordrid

Comment

And yet women still get cravings for the wierdest stuff when they're pregnant.

Comment

I c and I agree with KVH BTW.
            Join MURCs Distributed Computing effort for Rosetta@Home and help fight Alzheimers, Cancer, Mad Cow disease and rising oil prices.
            [...]the pervading principle and abiding test of good breeding is the requirement of a substantial and patent waste of time. - Veblen

Comment

So do I, with the exception of a specifically formulated prenatal vitamin supplement that includes things like folic acid (B9) etc., both before conception and at least 3 months after. Folic acid cuts the rate of neural tube defects like spina bifida.

Normal (non-prenatal) vitamin formulations may have too much of certain vitamins that can be harmful in higher doses. ex: vitamin A.
              Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 29 August 2006, 09:39.
              Dr. Mordrid

Comment

That's a good point, Doc.. normally, I wouldn't consider vitamin/mineral supplements as medication, but such things can be abused and proper dosage needs to be adhered to.

Comment

Working...
                X