Soft on Crime

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Soft on Crime

BBC, News, BBC News, news online, world, uk, international, foreign, british, online, service

and also considering the fact that AGB is alos being considered for downgrade to fine only you can certainly say ther PC crowd are nuts.
    Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
    Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

I agree that first-offence shoplifters should not be jailed. They should be fined, say, 20 times the value of the goods, named and shamed by mandatory community service, cleaning the public area in front of the shop in a very distictive jump suit labelled "I shoplifted from this shop" in large letters, front and back, for 2 hours/day for 4 weeks, if necessary scrubbing the pavement with a toothbrush. Second offence doubled. Third offence tripled and placed on probation.

I would make an exception for kleptomaniacs, who should undergo mandatory residential psychiatric treatment. These are most commonly ladies of a certain age, often well-off.

Prison is not really appropriate for pinching a bar of chocolate or a carton of cigarettes. If it is done to feed a controlled substances habit, then the punishment cited plus whatever for drug possession is still appropriate. It costs too much to keep every shoplifter in clink.

As the Mikado said, My object all sublime ... is to let the punishment fit the crime.
    Brian (the devil incarnate)

Comment

Put them in the stocks for a day.

Comment

Where do you draw the line though BE???

As far as fines go they'll just claim they can't afford to pay it. The judge will reduce it to 10p a week so theres no deterant.

Perhaps they should be made clean out the local pubs toilets. I'm sure recycled take-aways and beer may put them off.
        Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
        Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Originally posted by The PIT
          As far as fines go they'll just claim they can't afford to pay it.
          Deducted at source from wages or social benefits, leaving just the vital minimum, until it is all paid off. Bank accounts examined and sequestered. Bailiffs in and seize everything except simple toys, textiles, food, one chair and one bed per person, one table - proceeds of sale going towards paying off the fine. Without TV, hi-fi, radio and other entertainment and no means to go out, except to scrub the pavement, they may come to their senses.
          Brian (the devil incarnate)

Comment

Working...
          X