No High Definition for you!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No High Definition for you!

Microsoft has announced that they have, not surprisingly, bent to movie studio pressure and denied people the use of playing back high definition content of Vista 32-bit and on 32-bit processors. Which means MS will require everyone wanting to play Blur-ray, HD-DVD, or ANY HD content (not 100% sure about the last part, they weren't specific if it was HD/BR specific or HD across the board) on their computer they must have:

-Vista 64
    -64-bit processor
    -ALL drivers must be WHQL certified

Joy of joys. As one person said in response to this announcement, it seems like the big companies want us to "Buy buy buy.. get less less less."

Jammrock
    “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
    –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Yeah, Vista is so bloated, I'll be surprised if anything will run properly especially in 32bits.

In a way I don't agree with the person saying they want us to buy buy buy... because if a person decides to upgrade, it's not because he or she is forced to, Windows XP will do just fine for a long time, but because that person wants to stay current and if the workstation supports 64bit, you would only have to buy one OS and it might as well be 64bit.

I see the future going 64 bit anyways, the days of 32bit OS's "should" start to diminish at least I hope it will, providing developers write drivers to support all the hardware.

Anyway, back to Microsoft, it's wrong to dictate what users should buy!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

This wouldn’t be a cover up for the HD system wide content protection scheme called PVP-OPM which is not yet supported by most of the existing monitors and graphic cards?

Diplomacy, it's a way of saying “nice doggie”, until you find a rock!

Comment

Originally posted by Elie
        ...it's not because he or she is forced to
        Maybe not at the moment but MS will most certainly stop newer software running on XP much like they've started to do with Windows 2000.
        When you own your own business you only have to work half a day. You can do anything you want with the other twelve hours.

Comment

And MPAA will wonder why people download HD videos via p2p...

Comment

MS and the MPAA can both suck my d*ck

Comment

Originally posted by Taz
              Maybe not at the moment but MS will most certainly stop newer software running on XP much like they've started to do with Windows 2000.
              How do they stop newer software from running? Curious.

Comment

Originally posted by High_Jumbllama
                How do they stop newer software from running? Curious.
                1) Stop supporting the OS. Most businesses will not run an OS, save for a few rare apps on a few systems that won't run in the new version, that is not supported by MS. We moved from NT4 to 2k ONLY after MS announced support for NT4 would end. This also means software devs will stop making software for said OS.

2) Require software with "Windows-compatible" logo to do an OS check and say "this version of windows is unsupported."

3) Give developers cool new features that make their life easier, but make them ONLY available for the updated OS.

4) Add software, via "critical update" to the unsupported list in the OS (yes, Windows has one of these).

Comment

This is the natural course of evolution guys!

if todays software was able to run on Windows 3.1 or OS/2 no one would've upgraded and we'd be living in the dark ages.

So I'm not complaining about new and improved software and OS's, I'm complaining about the manopoly mentality that Microsoft is showing as of late! Thinking they can control everything is utterly wrong and should be punished for it.

Comment

Originally posted by Elie
                    I'm not complaining about new and improved software and OS's
                    New - yes, Improved - not always...
                    "For every action, there is an equal and opposite criticism."

Comment

Originally posted by Jammrock
                      http://www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=3922

Microsoft has announced that they have, not surprisingly, bent to movie studio pressure and denied people the use of playing back high definition content of Vista 32-bit and on 32-bit processors. Which means MS will require everyone wanting to play Blur-ray, HD-DVD, or ANY HD content (not 100% sure about the last part, they weren't specific if it was HD/BR specific or HD across the board) on their computer they must have:

-Vista 64
                      -64-bit processor
                      -ALL drivers must be WHQL certified

Joy of joys. As one person said in response to this announcement, it seems like the big companies want us to "Buy buy buy.. get less less less."

Jammrock

Nope. Apparently not true.

Comment

Originally posted by Victorian
                        MS hadn't released that tid-bit until after I posted the story. Good news though

Comment

PVP-OPM

Nice. :@

Looks like I'm sticking with XP as it has served me well. Plus Matrox doesen't have a DX10 part.

Comment

Working...
                          X