Pluto demoted

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pluto demoted

Astronomers have gone Goofy with their Mickey Mouse decision to demote Pluto!

BBC, News, BBC News, news online, world, uk, international, foreign, british, online, service
    Brian (the devil incarnate)

I've long thought there must be a crack pipe concession at the IAU....this just proves it
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

On one hand there is the notion that we shouldn't cling to imprecise definitions just because they're what we know.

On the other, I want some of whatever they were smoking
      “And, remember: there's no 'I' in 'irony'” ~ Merlin Mann

Comment

This is the same group that recently voted to declare all "round thingies" to be planets, isn't it?
        The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
        If only life were as easy as you
        I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
        I would still get screwed

Comment

Yes. You might say they're a bit 'conflicted'. It seems that at every conference they feel the need to come up with at least one head-scratcher.
          Dr. Mordrid
          ----------------------------
          An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

Geez guys. Get over it.
            Pluto wasn't even discovered until 1930.
            It is not one of the traditional planets.
            Chuck
            秋音的爸爸

Comment

I don't see the problem either: the term dwarf planet seems perfectly appropriate, and also "upgrades" Ceres (which was close to being considered a planet when it was first found anyway.)

Comment

If we're going to redefine the solar system then we should consider dividing the planets into different classes. Major planets would be gas giants approximately Neptune sized and up. Minor planets would be rocky orbs Mercury sized to Neptune sized. Planetoids would be anything Moon-sized and down. Then the rocky planetesimals that comprise the asteroid belt.

Interesting thought: what would life look like on a terrestrial planet the size of Jupiter? Just because it has a crushing gravity doesn't necessarily mean it will have a crushing atmosphere.

Kevin

Comment

Originally posted by KRSESQ
                  If we're going to redefine the solar system then we should consider dividing the planets into different classes. Major planets would be gas giants approximately Neptune sized and up. Minor planets would be rocky orbs Mercury sized to Neptune sized. Planetoids would be anything Moon-sized and down. Then the rocky planetesimals that comprise the asteroid belt.
                  Yeah! And planets that are actually giant robots should be called cybertronesimals!

Interesting thought: what would life look like on a terrestrial planet the size of Jupiter? Just because it has a crushing gravity doesn't necessarily mean it will have a crushing atmosphere.
                  Aren't there rules about how big a planet can be before it can't be terrestrial any more? I tend to think that if anything the size of Jupiter were made out of any heavier elements, it'd become too massive...
                  The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
                  I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
                  I would still get screwed

Comment

I laughed when I read the following comments from a Canadian on another forum:

Some observations:
                    1. An American discovered Pluto. This proves most of the world is anti-American.
                    2. Dwarf is insensitive. We must refer to Pluto as Planetoidally Challenged.
                    3. Could this mean Mickey Mouse's dog is really a chihuahua?
                    4. What if folks on Jupiter do not regard Earth as a planet?
                    5. Do astrologers have to erase the parts that refer to Pluto's influence on our behaviour?
                    6. Pluto is the Roman god of the underworld amd judge of the dead. It's not a good idea to annoy him.

Hank, Toronto
                    Brian (the devil incarnate)

Comment

Originally posted by Brian Ellis
                      5. Do astrologers have to erase the parts that refer to Pluto's influence on our behaviour?
                      God I hope so.
                      Maybe they could demote the rest of them...
                      Chuck
                      秋音的爸爸

Comment

Nah, they'll take into account all Pluto-like bodies from this point, and also planets in other systems

Comment

Colbert teaches the planets

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.
                          Chuck
                          秋音的爸爸

Comment

Be careful of those Astrologers. They might sue.
                            Yahoo link no longer works.

Comment

Working...
                            X