Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• help needed: motherboard stucks after post

Hey folks,

damn computer decided to give me a hard time yesterday evening. All worked well the day before yesterday, no problems at all. When i tried to switch it on yesterday, he' stuck at the first post screen for a long time, somewhere between 3-5 minutes, then he switches over to the second post screen and stays there (waited for approx. 10 minutes)

Some details about the computer:

Packard Bell Ixtreme 7030
    1 GB Ram (two Infineon DDR 333, CL2.5)
    Matrox P 650
    Gigabyte GA-8SIML-NF6 motherboard Rev 2.0a

Things i tried:

removed the internal pci card (was a Hauppauge WinTv-2go)
    removed all external connections like modem, usb, ...
    tried with memory module 1 only
    tried with memory module 2 only
    reseated ide cable connectors on motherboard and harddisks

When i try to go into Bios, the "F2:Setup" at the first post screen
    just changes to "GO-Setup", but it doesn't enter the Bios mode

Here are two screenies of the posts:

Any ideas except buying a new motherboard, buying a new power source and maybe trying different ide cables ?

thx
    R.
    "Women don't want to hear a man's opinion, they just want to hear their opinion in a deeper voice."

Did you check for swollen or blown caps on the motherboard?

Comment

nope, the lightning under the desk isn't that good ... will try it tonight, thx for the tip
      "Women don't want to hear a man's opinion, they just want to hear their opinion in a deeper voice."

Comment

Well, pull EVERYTHING from the board, then switch the CMOS clear/reset jumper, wait 5 seconds, and put it back... then try booting with nothing plugged in/connected. (Except RAM, of course). If that won't get you into the BIOS, you're pretty much stuck with getting a new board.
        The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
        If only life were as easy as you
        I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
        If only life were as easy as you
        I would still get screwed

Comment

Originally posted by Gurm
          Well, pull EVERYTHING from the board, then switch the CMOS clear/reset jumper, wait 5 seconds, and put it back... then try booting with nothing plugged in/connected. (Except RAM, of course). If that won't get you into the BIOS, you're pretty much stuck with getting a new board.
          thx Gurm, did the trick. Got some messages at windows booting about an kernel error fault .... god knows what happened ... guess that Windows MCE will disappear from that rig.

Comment

Working...
          X