Speaker Recommendations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Speaker Recommendations

Just noticed the other day that one of the speakers in my set has apparently died. Mind you, this is a cheap Labtec set (LCS-1050) that has lasted me for a long while (5 years or so I think).

They're cheaper now than they were then, so I could easily replace them, but I'm looking at getting a nicer set, though nothing fancy. The current set are connected to my iBook and I mainly just use them to listen to music (at a not-so-high volume) and because I hate laptop speakers

I've been eyeing a couple Logitec models, and I would rather not spend over $30 or so. I already own a much nicer speaker set for louder affairs, so no need to recommend anything fancy
    “And, remember: there's no 'I' in 'irony'” ~ Merlin Mann

These should do the trick: Reasonably priced speakers

They're only $25,000/pair!

Ok, seriously now. Anything by logitech should be pretty good. I have a set of their 4.1 THX speakers, and they've lasted quite well over the 5+ years I've had them. Just find a model that fits your price range, and you should be fine.
    Lady, people aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard coated bastards with bastard filling. But I don't find them half as annoying as I find naive, bubble-headed optimists who walk around vomiting sunshine. -- Dr. Perry Cox

Comment

Originally posted by agallag
      These should do the trick: Reasonably priced speakers

They're only $25,000/pair!
      Puh! Childs play:

Wilson Audio Alexandria X-2

Retail price = $125000 USD

Back to the topic...Logitech speakers are pretty much the standard these days. I heard some a couple of weekends ago and they were nice and reasonalby priced.
      “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
      –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

Hehe, not a style to my liking, but sweet nevertheless.

Figured I'd be safe with Logitech. Just trying to decide if I want to get a three-piece set or not (one with a subwoofer) like the x-230, which is decently discounted on Amazon.

“And, remember: there's no 'I' in 'irony'” ~ Merlin Mann

Comment

I had the 530's (power problems destroyed them) and I've used them as 230's a lot. They are awesome speakers.
          Wikipedia and Google.... the needles to my tangent habit.

That special feeling we get in the cockles of our hearts, Or maybe below the cockles, Maybe in the sub-cockle area, Maybe in the liver, Maybe in the kidneys, Maybe even in the colon, We don't know.

Comment

Power problems destroyed them? Do you have power goblins or do these speakers have a really crappy power supply?
            There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

I'm currently using earbuds from my MP3 player for quiet listening. Full ear headphones for serious gaming or movies.
              /meow
              Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600
              Asus Striker ][
              8GB Corsair XMS2 DDR2 800 (4x2GB)
              Asus EN8800GT 512MB x2(SLI)

I am C4tX0r, hear me mew!

Comment

Originally posted by az
                Power problems destroyed them? Do you have power goblins or do these speakers have a really crappy power supply?
                Had a power surge due to bad wiring mixed with an idiotic electrician. Power killed a surge protector to the point of black char marks. Two PSU's a switch and my speakers died.
                Wikipedia and Google.... the needles to my tangent habit.

That special feeling we get in the cockles of our hearts, Or maybe below the cockles, Maybe in the sub-cockle area, Maybe in the liver, Maybe in the kidneys, Maybe even in the colon, We don't know.

Comment

Hello, is it me you’re looking for? Oops, something appears to have gone wrong. We’ve updated our site recently so you may have come looking for a page that’s moved.  Trying clicking here, or use the logo above to go back to the home page. Anyway, the page doesn’t exist. If you think it should […]

Are good value for money £99 . Same comapny as Boston Acoustics as far as I can tell.

Comment

I use something like these at work and they seem pretty decent

Shop Altec Lansing speakers and headphones direct and save big! Enhance your audio experience with top-quality products built to last since 1927.
                    When you own your own business you only have to work half a day. You can do anything you want with the other twelve hours.

Comment

I know nothing about $30 speakers.. but then, I know nothing about $100 cars either, and don't want to.

Comment

Something I might do for computer speakers.. these are what I would call reasonably priced for the application.

$200 each, with a $250 sub.. then you need a mini receiver and you're set. These puppies sound good, too.

Think about it.. you sit at your computer for how many hours per day? And you listen to music there? And you think $30 is what you should spend?

Comment

WAY overpriced, KvH.

I'd recommend a Teufel Concept set (more than 30 bucks, much less than KvH's recommendation), but I don't think they're available in the US.
                          There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

No, they are not "overpriced." You are simply undereducated as to what quality costs.

You need to listen to the things before passing summary judgement.

Comment

THIS is overpriced.. a bunch of $4 paper cone tweeters in plastic boxes with a lot of hype and marketing to make the uneducated think they are good. Put them against the B&W M-1 system at the same price and it would be frighteningly embarrassing for the Bose set.

Comment

Working...
                              X