Selective Fits.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Selective Fits.

I just want to make sure, that you know how MAD I AM !

Diplomacy, it's a way of saying “nice doggie”, until you find a rock!

Gawd....I remember those

All but Erik did that. He never threw tantrums or fits. Then he was also the one reading Discover Magazine at age 6
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

My girls tried that a couple of time. Got picked up very quickly from the floor by me with an explanation that is it happens one more time… ..never seen it again since than.

Comment

As funny as that is though, they're only reinforcing his behaviour.

Our eldest is the reigning queen of selective behaviour. While she never throws tantrums like that (she is 9 afterall), she will definitely put on the sad face to get what she wants. She's so effective that she's not allowed to have male aides at school (she has Down Syndrome) because she easily wraps them around her finger.
        “And, remember: there's no 'I' in 'irony'” ~ Merlin Mann

Comment

Same thing happened here. I hoisted them up to eye level by their jumper, stared 'em in the eye and let 'em know who's boss. Problem solved
          Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Dr. M - sounds like you used the same method my dad used... and that I'll likely use once I have some of my own. I agree it's funny but letting stuff like this happen because it's a giggle leads to problems very quickly.
            Wikipedia and Google.... the needles to my tangent habit.

That special feeling we get in the cockles of our hearts, Or maybe below the cockles, Maybe in the sub-cockle area, Maybe in the liver, Maybe in the kidneys, Maybe even in the colon, We don't know.

Comment

Originally posted by Dr Mordrid

...While she never throws tantrums like that (she is 9 afterall)...
              Just not long ago, I saw a 9~10 year old boy in the store doing that by the cashier 'couse he didn’t get what he wanted.

I just can't imagine how a parent can ignore behavior like this, waiting for them to grow out of it.

Comment

No kid/grandkid of mine would live to age 9-10 with that kind of behavior
                Dr. Mordrid

Comment

That's funny but seems like the kid is faking it though.
                  Titanium is the new bling!
                  (you heard from me first!)

Comment

In small children that is pretty easy to extinguish by simply ignoring it.
                    Of course, a parent will never extinguish attention seeking behavior if they can't keep from laughing at it.

By 9 or 10 I would think it would be a good idea for the child and parents to see a shrink and find out what is going on.

The most likely problems the Doc method would help, but there are some things that could be wrong that it might even make worse. Couldn't hurt to try to find out what you are dealing with before deciding on corrective action.

I know this from tragic personal experience.
                    Chuck
                    秋音的爸爸

Comment

Originally posted by ZokesPro
                      That's funny but seems like the kid is faking it though.
                      He is faking it.
                      That's the point.
                      He wants something from his parents.
                      Kids aren't good at debate or argument at that age.
                      They use what they have.

And those parents have obviously made that behavior pay off in the past.
                      Something they will live to regret long after their 15 minutes on Internet fame have passed.
                      Chuck
                      秋音的爸爸

Comment

Faking it how? Sure he's faking that he's really that upset, but he's certainly not faking the fit he's throwing. It's purely for attention and to get what he wants.

None of my kids have ever acted that way, but as a parent I'm all too aware of how and why kids behave in such a way (nevermind that I've seen it happen with other kids).

Comment

Originally posted by Jesterzwild
                          Faking it how? Sure he's faking that he's really that upset...
                          You answered if for me.

It's just a semantic difference. We both know what's going on with the kid.
                          Chuck
                          秋音的爸爸

Comment

@cjolley and Jesterzwild: I know exactly what your talking about, even though I'm not a parent but the way that kid is acting, it's just pathetic.
                            Titanium is the new bling!
                            (you heard from me first!)

Comment

Well yes, which is why their indulging him in it is just going to cause more problems later on. But he's not "faking it" just because of the camera.

Comment

Working...
                              X