Brits again

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brits again

BBC, News, BBC News, news online, world, uk, international, foreign, british, online, service

BBC, News, BBC News, news online, world, uk, international, foreign, british, online, service

Four Britons aged between 21 and 38 could face trial for murder after their car hit a motorcyclist in Cyprus.
    This kind of thing happens every year, not always resulting in a tragic death, though. Almost inevitably, it is drunken/drugged British louts who start the problem. In this case, it appears that the four protagonists deliberately charged their car against the motorcyclist, with ample witnesses.

Yesterday's Cyprus Mail printed http://www.cyprus-mail.com/news/main...27473&cat_id=1
    about the incident.

Why can't the UK keep their yobs at home for The Pit to complain about?
    Brian (the devil incarnate)

Look, Great Britain is a small
    country, much smaller than yours.

Small population compared with some.

It's small, but it's great. And why?

- Because it has guns.
    - Because it has discipline.
    That was then.. and they had an empire

now they have a buncha spoiled brats and political correctness, and what they used to call the "bloody wogs" are taking over their homeland.. it's truly pathetic.

Comment

What you state is totally irrelevant to this alleged and senseless murder. It has nothing whatsoever to the demise of the British Empire, which was demised long before any of these hooligans were born. And I won't comment on your racism.

Comment

I'm sorry you have to experience the worst of british youth Brian.

KvH - you are just plain insulting. I sometimes wonder why your views are tolerated on here.
        FT.

Comment

Originally posted by Fat Tone
          I'm sorry you have to experience the worst of british youth Brian.

KvH - you are just plain insulting. I sometimes wonder why your views are tolerated on here.
          I oft wonder myself.
          Juu nin to iro

English doesn't borrow from other languages. It follows them down dark alleys, knocks them over, and goes through their pockets for loose grammar.

Comment

I didn't call anyone a bloody wog.. just stating that the Brits used to use such disrespect while thinking they were superior.. now they are showing a collective weakness that can only be considered a weakness of the mind, which is being taken advantage of by their children and immigrants alike. Will they ever get some common sense back?

And by the way, it isn't necessarily any particular individuals showing this weakness.. just the collective.

Comment

So you are saying that learning respect for other cultures is a weakness of mind?

I agree that the PC mob have gone too far, but that is in all things, not just race-relations.

And 'taking over the home-land'? Pfft.
              FT.

Comment

Originally posted by Fat Tone
                So you are saying that learning respect for other cultures is a weakness of mind?

I agree that the PC mob have gone too far, but that is in all things, not just race-relations.

And 'taking over the home-land'? Pfft.
                Respect is one thing.. rolling over is quite another.

I simply think discipline has gone lax. Part of "respecting" other cultures is apparently to lose faith in your own and sort of let things go as they will. The TV special where Jamie Oliver discovers how poorly kids eat in British schools seems to openly display how no clear path is given for kids to follow.

btw, this is a phenomenon not exclusive to Britain.
                Last edited by KvHagedorn; 21 August 2006, 02:32.

Comment

I can't say all that much as a secondhand observer, though.. I'm not there.. and TP mentions most every incident which colors my opinion. Things are likely different in the countryside, but noting that the cities where your culture has less of a grip was able to vote out fox-hunting for the country folks is sort of scary from a cultural point of view.

Comment

tbh as a former resident of cyprus I have seen this plenty of times. While I agree with Brian's sentiments, I have to question the Cyprus tourist board's 'quick buck' mentality here. Cyprus has enormous cultural (roman / greek civilisation links), historical (crusader castles etc) and geological (batholith iirc) attractions and the 'advantage' of being a former colony, but instead the import sand to the beaches, encourage cheap package holidays, turn a blind eye to the drugs trade, and let anyone drink as much as they want, trying to make Agia Napa into another Ibiza.

Add to that to the bored, brutish squaddies and you have a problem! I'm oversimplifying, but it's true.

Comment

Interestingly, for some reason I am reminded of National Lampoon's European Vacation, where the boorish American Chevy Chase is trying to drive in London and winds up hitting a cyclist (Eric Idle). Though the accident is conspicuously Chevy Chase's fault and Eric Idle has received the worst of it, for some reason Idle feels the need to apologize profusely.. Perhaps the current state of affairs is due to a ludicrously excessive amount of politeness.. a deep desire not to offend.. guilt for the imperial days, when British soldiers appropriated half the third world? Interesting phenomenon. Maybe the yobbishness is a backlash against this excessive politeness.

Another interesting thing nowadays is to watch a Hitchcock film or read a Sherlock Holmes story.. both are heavily dependent upon cultural norms to define their stories.. and cultural norms have almost become taboo nowadays. Amazing how quaint they seem now, when just a few years ago (it seems) they seemed perfectly realistic.

Comment

W-S makes an excellent (and on-topic) point..

Sorry for my excessive sociological dissection. Never ascribe something to conspiricy when stupidity will suffice.. Just a drunken idiot and an innocent guy in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Comment

Originally posted by Brian Ellis
                          http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/5265796.stm

This kind of thing happens every year, not always resulting in a tragic death, though. Almost inevitably, it is drunken/drugged British louts who start the problem. In this case, it appears that the four protagonists deliberately charged their car against the motorcyclist, with ample witnesses.

Yesterday's Cyprus Mail printed http://www.cyprus-mail.com/news/main...27473&cat_id=1
                          about the incident.

Why can't the UK keep their yobs at home for The Pit to complain about?
                          That behaviour is disgusting, but the report says its ayia napa, and that place exists to serve beer up to young unresponsibles so the Cypriot government have a role to play in this. They are happy to take money from these people and give them beer in return, is it so difficult to see that some of them are going to behave badly?

And KV is right, Britain has gone to the dogs, every decent person I know here wants out as soon as they can get some money together, and thats at the age of 22.
                          is a flower best picked in it's prime or greater withered away by time?
                          Talk about a dream, try to make it real.

Comment

Originally posted by KvHagedorn
                            I can't say all that much as a secondhand observer, though.. I'm not there.. and TP mentions most every incident which colors my opinion. Things are likely different in the countryside, but noting that the cities where your culture has less of a grip was able to vote out fox-hunting for the country folks is sort of scary from a cultural point of view.
                            Bloody hell! You often accuse me of changing the subject by threadjacking, but you are the champion. This thread is about a brutal murder by a group of yobs, not culture. In fact, I'll go so far as to say that if the four who are in detention are typically the type who holiday in Ayia Napa (or Ibiza or Benedorm), then they probably have no or very little culture. They are mostly thick and ignorant whose idea of a good time is living in an alcoholic-cum-amphetominic stupor for the length of their holidays. They are tolerated only because tourism is a large part of our economy.

I would reiterate, this tragedy is not unique. There are many violent incidents, mostly in or around Ayia Napa, every summer and they usually involve Brits (sometimes aided and abetted by British soldiers from the Sovereign Base at nearby Dhekelia; some of the worst bars are even out-of-bounds for squaddies because of the frequentation). What makes this alleged murder different is that it is not one Brit stabbing another Brit who may riposte by breaking a chair over the head of the first one or smashing a bottle into his face; it is a Brit making a totally unprovoked violent attack with intent to kill on someone who had nothing to do with the original "cause".

However, the driver will probably have a very prolonged holiday on this island and the Central Prison is not somewhere I would like to be: he will learn what real violence is there and he will probably be a broken, old, man when he leaves. Murder will automatically get life, meaning a minimum of 15-20 years with good behaviour. If found guilty, the other three may get away with complicity, meaning 10 years unless they find some Speed in their rooms, when they could add on another good slice. (A Brit recently got 8 years for 3 Speed tablets and a Cypriot got 20 years for, I think >500. Even 1 g of marijuana is worth 1 year).

Comment

Originally posted by Whirl-Secret
                              Cyprus has enormous cultural (roman / greek civilisation links), historical (crusader castles etc) and geological (batholith iirc) attractions
                              To continue the threadjacking, I agree. The heritage actually goes back nearly ~10,000 years with many neolithic sites, including an excavated village at Khirokitia.

For anyone interested in the culture, geography, politics etc., there is a government site at http://www.aspectsofcyprus.com/ - this is a Flash presentaion with many tens of photos as well as descriptions of each aspect, although I doubt whether Ayia Napa is mentioned! It is worth looking at, for its own sake.

Comment

Working...
                              X