Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who's going to be the first with this beast?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who's going to be the first with this beast?

Dual Opteron 2000 series (Rev F)
    SLI Support
    Two extra PCI-E x16 slots with x8 signalling
    Two PCI-X
    One PCI
    6 SATA II ports with RAID 0,1,5,JBOD
    8 SAS ports with RAID 0,1,5,JBOD
    Up to 32GB RAM

Hot damn!
    Lady, people aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard coated bastards with bastard filling. But I don't find them half as annoying as I find naive, bubble-headed optimists who walk around vomiting sunshine. -- Dr. Perry Cox

Good gravy on mashed potatoes! That's one hell of a motherboard!

The only thing it's missing is a built in eSATA port and IEEE 1394b. I wonder how much that beast is going to cost.
    “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
    –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

You can get eSATA via a $5 adapter plugged into one of the internal ports. A dedicated port would be nice, but it's really not that big of a deal.

That will also negate the need for 1394b. 3Gb/s is a little quicker than 800Mb/s. I have an eSATA HD enclosure, it's stunning.
      Lady, people aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard coated bastards with bastard filling. But I don't find them half as annoying as I find naive, bubble-headed optimists who walk around vomiting sunshine. -- Dr. Perry Cox

Comment

Originally posted by agallag
        http://www.tyan.com/products/html/thundern6650w.html

Dual Opteron 2000 series (Rev F)
        SLI Support
        Two extra PCI-E x16 slots with x8 signalling
        Two PCI-X
        One PCI
        6 SATA II ports with RAID 0,1,5,JBOD
        8 SAS ports with RAID 0,1,5,JBOD
        Up to 32GB RAM

Hot damn!
        Well that depends on whether the new Opteron 2000 series are faster than the new XEON 5x00 series.

A wait and see here.

Oh and a question... what is SAS?

Thanks,
        Last edited by Elie; 17 August 2006, 12:10.

Comment

The final word isn't in yet, but they're rumored to be quite good competition for the woodcrest. I have a feeling that if you factor in $, performance, and power usage, the Opterons will maintain a very slight lead. The new Xeons use much less power, but the FB-DIMMs use a hell of a lot more, and that nearly balances out. Wait and see I guess.

SAS = Serial Attached SCSI. It's SCSI running over SATA cables. Very fancy.

Comment

@Elie: SAS is the SATA version of SCSI. SAS = Serial Attached SCSI. As implied it's designed for efficient RAID and data farms and the like, essentially eliminating the big fat SCSI cables and termination issues.

@agallag: I've always wanted to try eSTA. My dream HTPC would have a SSD for OS and whatnot and a 6 m xSATA cable going into a closet where I had a stand-alone eSATA RAID box for storing media. I suppose if you used eSATA most of IEEE 1394b's benefits go away, but I have a b enclosure so ... it would be nice, but if I could afford to outfit this board I could spring for an eSATA enclosure.

Jammrock

Comment

My eSATA enclosure was $45 canadian, so it definitely wouldn't be a factor. If you're going for a RAID enclosure, that would obviously increase the cost a fair bit. If you find one of those that's cost effective, let me know!

Also, you could always drop in a 1394b controller card if you need it.

Comment

Thanks Jammrock and Aqallaq for the info!

Cheers!

Comment

Ok, going to check on getting a system with that motherboard as a testbed for work.

Comment

Originally posted by agallag
                    My eSATA enclosure was $45 canadian, so it definitely wouldn't be a factor. If you're going for a RAID enclosure, that would obviously increase the cost a fair bit. If you find one of those that's cost effective, let me know!

Also, you could always drop in a 1394b controller card if you need it.
                    I have found barebone eSATA RAID enclosures for as low as $200 USD for 4 drives and drive multiplexing (meaning only a single SATA cable needed between enclosure and PC). 5-bay jobs jump to $400 USD. But a 5-bay with 5 x 320 GB HDDs (<$100 USD each) would run under a grand and give you 1.28 TB in a RAID 5 configuration, or 1.6 TB in a RAID 0. Not too shabby.

Or if you went with a 4-bay @ $200 + 4 x 320 GB in RAID 0 you could get 1.28 TB for roughly $600 USD.

And if you're really adventurous, there's this bad boy with 10 bays @ $720 USD:

So for a measely $2k you could get 3.2 TB of SATA RAID love'n.

My current mobo has 1394b built-in, so as long as that's up and running it's not a big deal.
                    Last edited by Jammrock; 17 August 2006, 20:17.

Comment

I knew I need a system upgrade after three years, but DAMN that has me drooling
                      "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

Looks like a good board and I want to build a dual socket F system at some point but I just can't get excited about Tyan.

I know they have a good rep these days, expecially for server boards, but I've had lots of trouble with them in the past (PIII days).

I don't like getting burned.
                        P.S. You've been Spanked!

Comment

I'll see that and up you 2 more CPU's; this time Opteron 8000's;

Dr. Mordrid
                          ----------------------------
                          An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

Working...
                          X