Poincaré Conjecture - solved?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Poincaré Conjecture - solved?

Seems like this man: Grigori 'Grisha' Yakovlevich Perelman has truely succeeded where so many others have failed, solving the Poincaré Conjecture.
    Roumors claim that he'll receive the Fields medal for his achievement, assuming he'll show up at the ceremony.. Apparently, the man is more than slightly eccentric and has already turned down a 1m USD prize before.
    "For every action, there is an equal and opposite criticism."

Sounds like the guy in "Pi"

If he doesn't want the prize I'll take it and apply it to solving the biggest mathematical challenge in Michigan: my wifes checkbook
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

What puzzles me is that this has been proven for 40+ years now for 4, 5, and more values of n, but the n=3 proof was somehow elusive?
      The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
      If only life were as easy as you
      I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
      I would still get screwed

Comment

There is a really good NYT article. Dr. Perelman after giving a world wind tour of speeches has disappeared to his home region where he says he likes to go hiking.

5+ was proven 45 years ago, but 4 was proven in '82. http://mathworld.wolfram.com/PoincareConjecture.html
        Gigabyte GA-K8N Ultra 9, Opteron 170 Denmark 2x2Ghz, 2 GB Corsair XMS, Gigabyte 6600, Gentoo Linux
        Motion Computing M1400 -- Tablet PC, Ubuntu Linux

"if I said you had a beautiful body would you take your pants off and dance around a bit?" --Zapp Brannigan

Comment

Originally posted by TnT
          There is a really good NYT article. Dr. Perelman after giving a world wind tour of speeches has disappeared to his home region where he says he likes to go hiking.

5+ was proven 45 years ago, but 4 was proven in '82. http://mathworld.wolfram.com/PoincareConjecture.html
          Yeah, it seems like maybe people were getting bogged down with the "numbers we can actually work with" thing. Sometimes it's easier to prove the abstracts because you CAN'T visualize them. I know that in Calculus I always found it EASIER to work with surfaces in n dimensions than it was to work with them in, say, 4 dimensions. Because you OUGHT to be able to at least partially conceptualize 4 dimensions, but n is completely arbitrary.
          The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
          I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
          I would still get screwed

Comment

Working...
          X