Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sol system: 53 PLANETS!!

There goes the solar system.

(LA Times) The elite society of nine lordly bodies of rock, ice and gas would grow to at least 12 and as many as 53 members under a new definition of "planet" proposed Tuesday by the International Astronomical Union.

The core of the definition? Planets are round. And they orbit a star.

The proposal was hammered out after two years of intense astronomical debate among leading experts of the Astronomical Union, the international authority for naming celestial objects.

"We now have a new way to put the solar system together," said MIT astronomer Richard Binzel, a member of the committee that drafted the proposal. "We think this definition is reasonable."

It will be voted on next week by the group's general assembly, which is now meeting in Prague, Czech Republic. Binzel said he was optimistic the definition would be approved.

The new list of planets would include UB313, which was recently discovered beyond Pluto's orbit, as well as two bodies that have previously been rejected for planetary status: Pluto's moon Charon and Ceres, the largest object in the asteroid belt between Mars and Jupiter.

Charon and Pluto would become the solar system's first double planet, meaning they twirl around each other but neither dominates.

They would become part of a new subclass of planets called "plutons," defined as having orbits around the sun that take at least 200 years.

There could be dozens more plutons added after the objects are further reviewed by the Astronomical Union. There are 12 awaiting evaluation.

Ceres would also become the sole member of a subclass called "dwarf planets."

Astronomy professor Gibor Basri of UC Berkeley, praised the Astronomical Union for coming up with a definition that could help quell arguments over what makes a planet, a debate provoked by critics who questioned tiny Pluto's status.

"I feel that they have made the most rational and scientific choices," he said. "It does mean some adjustment for the public."

But the definition has riled some astronomers.

Perhaps surprisingly, one of the strongest critics of the new solar system lineup is Caltech astronomer Michael Brown, who discovered one of the proposed new planets. He called the decision an "odd solution."

"In my book, the word 'planet' was special. I liked it back when planets meant something other than it's round," said Brown, who has discovered 15 objects that appear to qualify as planets under the new definition, which might make him history's most prolific planet hunter.

Brown said he had counted 53 objects that appeared to count as planets under the proposal.

It's also an open question how the new definition would be received by the public, who grew up with mobiles of the nine-planet solar system in their bedrooms and learning mnemonic devices to memorize the planets, such as "My Very Excellent Mother Just Served Us Nine Pizzas."

Some educators were delighted to learn the solar system might be about to change, considering it a "teachable moment" for students.

"Wow, that's huge," said Hilda Ramirez, a spokeswoman for the Los Angeles Unified School District.
    Dr. Mordrid
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

OK, real fast, someone name them all....
    Hey, Donny! We got us a German who wants to die for his country... Oblige him. - Lt. Aldo Raine

Comment

Um.. it's not "about to change"

They think by appending a different word to the same thing, they will somehow be Gods and change their nature?

One wonders if these guys are just too simple to create a separate definition which would discern between planets and moons and planetessimals. They just cannot admit to a certain level of arbitrariness in all human concepts.

Comment

They're like most PC'ers; they don't want to offend one side or the other, so they end up offending everyone
        Dr. Mordrid
        ----------------------------
        An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

I thought that what defined planets was how they were born and the presence of an active core not their size and shape... (Edit: besides the fact that it must be in orbit around a sun of course)
          now what ? Are they going to call a planet every round object gets caught into orbit around the sun??
          pfff
          Last edited by NetSnake; 16 August 2006, 06:14.

Comment

Here's another article on the matter:
            The tally of planets in our solar system would jump instantly to a dozen under a highly controversial new definition proposed by the International Astronomical Union (IAU).

It seems that there is definitely some disagreement over the proposal from those not on the IAU committee. The base definition is solid, but the details are where things become wonky.

There also appears to be some concern over the fact that most on the committee are not planetary astronomers/scientists.
            “And, remember: there's no 'I' in 'irony'” ~ Merlin Mann

Comment

Nobody likes this definition. It's retarded.

There, that was simple wasn't it?
              The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
              If only life were as easy as you
              I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
              If only life were as easy as you
              I would still get screwed

Comment

There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

Yeah but I love saying Quetzalcoatl, it's got a nice ring to it.
                  Gigabyte GA-K8N Ultra 9, Opteron 170 Denmark 2x2Ghz, 2 GB Corsair XMS, Gigabyte 6600, Gentoo Linux
                  Motion Computing M1400 -- Tablet PC, Ubuntu Linux

"if I said you had a beautiful body would you take your pants off and dance around a bit?" --Zapp Brannigan

Comment

Working...
                  X