Mammoths return?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mammoths return?

sci-tech-today.com is your first and best source for all of the information you’re looking for. From general topics to more of what you would expect to find here, sci-tech-today.com has it all. We hope you find what you are searching for!

"If spermatozoa of extinct mammalian species can be retrieved from animal bodies that were kept frozen for millions of years in permafrost, live animals might be restored by injecting them into (eggs) from females of closely related species," the researchers said in a paper appearing in Tuesday's issue of Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences.

Descendants of extinct mammals like the giant woolly mammoth might one day walk the Earth again. It isn't exactly Jurassic Park, but Japanese researchers are looking at the possibility of using sperm from frozen animals to inseminate living relatives.

So far they've succeeded with mice -- some frozen as long as 15 years -- and lead researcher Dr. Atsuo Ogura says he would like to try experiments in larger animals.

"In this study, the rates of success with sperm from 15 year-frozen bodies were much higher than we expected. So the likelihood of mammoths revival would be higher than we expected before," Ogura said in an interview via e-mail.

While frozen sperm is commonly used by sperm banks, the team led by Ogura, at Riken Bioresource Center in Ibaraki, Japan, worked with sperm from whole frozen mice and from frozen mouse organs.

"If spermatozoa of extinct mammalian species can be retrieved from animal bodies that were kept frozen for millions of years in permafrost, live animals might be restored by injecting them into (eggs) from females of closely related species," the researchers said in a paper appearing in Tuesday's issue of Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences.

Intact mammoth bodies have been excavated from Siberian permafrost.

Dr. Robert W. McGaughey, laboratory director at the Institute for Reproductive Studies in Scottsdale, Ariz., commented that since some of the whole frozen mice had been held for 15 years before obtaining the sperm nuclei "it clearly is possible that some day we may be able to obtain offspring from extinct animals frozen at reasonable temperatures for very long periods of time."
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

While we allow elephants themselves to slip into extinction?

I think we need to concentrate on preserving the current species.

Comment

Originally posted by KvHagedorn
      While we allow elephants themselves to slip into extinction?

I think we need to concentrate on preserving the current species.
      what ^ said x 5!!!
      /meow
      Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600
      Asus Striker ][
      8GB Corsair XMS2 DDR2 800 (4x2GB)
      Asus EN8800GT 512MB x2(SLI)

I am C4tX0r, hear me mew!

Comment

I've already seen one.

Comment

It seems that they're wanting to re-introduce the woolly mammoth.

Here comes some rotten competition!
          Brian (the devil incarnate)

Comment

First it will be mammoths, then the Sabre tooth tiger, then a raptor followed by a T-Rex!

LOL

Comment

Originally posted by Elie
              First it will be mammoths, then the Sabre tooth tiger, then a raptor followed by a T-Rex!

LOL
              Go go Power Rangers!!!

Comment

Originally posted by High_Jumbllama
                Go go Power Rangers!!!
                nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooes!!!!!!!!!!!!! 1

PR remind me of the proggy i used to watch as a very young child, i don't remember what it is called anymore.

premise is 2 siblings (brother and sister who are both half cyborgs) fighting giant dinosaurs in a tank that splits in two and transforms into a jet (with spinning drill infront). later on in the show the jet transforms into a giant robot.
                /meow
                Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600
                Asus Striker ][

Comment

Hey I remember that too, man it's been a long time!!!
                  You brought some old memories

Comment

they also had two funny guys who would control the 2nd half of the tank when the jet part took off to destroy the dinosaur. the dinos would always explode when killed and they'd always have to drill the sucker to kill it.

elie> i used to watch this along with Goldorak to give an idea how long ago. jeez i wish i could remember the name.
                    /meow
                    Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600
                    Asus Striker ][

Comment

Related comic.
                      Attached Files

Comment

I think they would be trying to do it just purely for curiousity and science, not to actually reintroduce it into the wild
                        Q9450 + TRUE, G.Skill 2x2GB DDR2, GTX 560, ASUS X48, 1TB WD Black, Windows 7 64-bit, LG M2762D-PM 27" + 17" LG 1752TX, Corsair HX620, Antec P182, Logitech G5 (Blue)
                        Laptop: MSI Wind - Black

Comment

It's just one of those fixed ideas, scientists said that it would be possible to bring back mammoths some 30 years ago and by hell and high water they aint giving up
                          If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

Most biologists harbor the hope of being able to 'resurrect' endangered or extinct species, totally ignoring that extinction is a natural process. Yes, it's a guilt thing because some extinctions are human influenced, but they ignore that even those extinctions could allow other species to come foreward.
                            Dr. Mordrid
                            ----------------------------
                            An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

I've been periodically humming the "Jurassic Park" theme since I first read this thread a few days back...
                              The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
                              If only life were as easy as you
                              I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
                              If only life were as easy as you
                              I would still get screwed

Comment

Working...
                              X