No announcement yet.

Web Hosts in the UK any good ones ????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Web Hosts in the UK any good ones ????

Well it seems my host is getting to big and is employing 2nd class techies.
    Since they've got a new server it's been hacked slows down to a crawl every other night rougthly at the same time in the evening.
    I'm now going to moved to another server. Yet the backup is a week old.
    Not impressed. Luckily I haven't altered much.
    Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
    Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

For UK ones, seriously avoid 1&1. I can't believe they won any of the awards they say they did!

We use CWCS (http://www.cwcs.co.uk/webhosting.php) which have very knowledgeable staff in the call center - we have a non-dedicated windows server with plesk management which is ok, & ftp. Changing permissions is long-winded compared to a linux/ftp setup but nm. They're happy for me to install any scipts I want too, and will help with stuff like aspupload et al.

Finally I'd like to pimp my friend Brian in CT, USA, who gives me great personal service, his company details are available here: http://www.pomfret.com/hosting/index.html

Comment

Cheers mate I'll keep those in mind.

Any others anyone???
      Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Why use a UK one? The UK is often bandwidth-overloaded. I have used www.pair.com for over 9 years. The only time I had a problem with their connections was a pre-announced 2-hour break during a change of location. An e-mail to them requesting tech service is usually replied to within 8 hours, at the most, and they have techies there 24/24, 7/7.
        * We host over 190,000 unique Web sites.
        * We have over 14,000 Value-Added and Authorized Resellers.
        * We have over 1000 Web servers in our custom-built datacenter.
        * We have customers from over 150 countries.
        * promote.pair.com has served over 4,000,000,000 banners since February 2002.
        * We host over 20,000 electronic mailing lists.
        * Our servers deliver over 400,000,000 hits per day.
        * We have over 63 Terabytes of storage on our servers.
        * On a typical day, we deliver over 3 Terabytes of data to our visitors.
        * We are deploying Intel and AMD servers at 2500 MHz and above.
        * All shared Web servers feature our Shadow Drive Technology.
        * We have been online for more than 123 months continuously.
        * Our customer base includes a remarkable number of high-profile, high-volume sites, some of whom have been featured as our Site of the Week.
        Another point they don't mention is that they have triple-redundant connections into different backbone nodes, so that speed is nearly always ensured, even if a given node is overloaded by a DoS attack. I'm more than satisfied. Try my http://www.cypenv.org/worldenv/ for speed, bearing in mind that there are two shunts to Google and Amazon for publicity (these often being slower.
        Brian (the devil incarnate)

Comment

Got to agree with Whirl-Secret on 1&1, awful, one of my clients has a dedicated server with them and I've had no end of troubles.

As for hosting in the UK, as said by Brian, I've been using www.netfire.com for a few years now.

Comment

Another two to add to the list. Prices have certainly fallen since last year. Eight hours is a bit long to answer the question. Is there a prob ay your end???? At least I get an answer at the moment pretty quickly even if it is a times a bit stupid. Like empty your cache. Err I'm ftping to it and it's slow cleaning the browser cache won't help.
            Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Working...
            X