Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sony strikes again: 4.1 million Dell batteries recalled...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sony strikes again: 4.1 million Dell batteries recalled...

Sony strikes again

Dell Recalls 4.1 Million PC Batteries That May Ignite (Update1)

Aug. 14 (Bloomberg) -- Dell Inc., the world's largest maker of personal computers, is recalling 4.1 million notebook PC batteries that may burst into flames in the largest ever recall in the consumer-electronics industry.

The batteries were manufactured by Sony Corp. and used in Latitude, Inspiron and Dell Precision portable PCs between April 2004 and July 18, 2006, Jess Blackburn, a spokesman for Round Rock, Texas-based Dell, said today in an interview. The recall will not have a material impact on Dell, he said.

Dell told the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission that it learned of six cases since December in the U.S. of notebooks overheating or bursting into flames because of a problem in the fuel cells of the widely used lithium-ion batteries. The recall is the largest ever for consumer electronics, said Scott Wolfson, a spokesman with commission in Bethesda, Maryland.

No injuries were reported, Blackburn said. Notebooks with the faulty batteries account for 19 percent of the 22 million portable PCs Dell sold during that time period, he said.
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

dammit sony, you still owe me 100$
    /meow
    Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600
    Asus Striker ][
    8GB Corsair XMS2 DDR2 800 (4x2GB)
    Asus EN8800GT 512MB x2(SLI)

I am C4tX0r, hear me mew!

Comment

Great..have to see if my new laptop is affected....
      Why is it called tourist season, if we can't shoot at them?

Comment

Just a thought; if these are Li Ion batteries then what would happen if an electric car suffered such a failure with a 300v Li Ion pack? Hmmm.....

Dr. Mordrid
        ----------------------------
        An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

Working...
        X