IQ tests (again?)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IQ tests (again?)

From what I've figured, IQ tests (the generic pattern recognition, logics, math etc) measure one's brain CPU power, plain and simple. How accurate is that statement?
    "For every action, there is an equal and opposite criticism."

A lot of psychologists have also been pushing musicial IQ and social IQ to be integrated into that.
    Q9450 + TRUE, G.Skill 2x2GB DDR2, GTX 560, ASUS X48, 1TB WD Black, Windows 7 64-bit, LG M2762D-PM 27" + 17" LG 1752TX, Corsair HX620, Antec P182, Logitech G5 (Blue)
    Laptop: MSI Wind - Black

Comment

Well...you have to remember a quote by one of the fathers of modern IQ tests (I'm not sure who, perhaps Temran...but that's really nevermind). Something along those lines:

question: what actually is an IQ?
      answer: IQ is the result of my test.

Comment

IQ actually more accurately measures your ability to correlate information and integrate it. It does NOT measure actual intelligence or intellect. It is timed. If you don't test well, your IQ will be measured as low, no matter what your intelligence level.

That said, what's your IQ? *chuckle*
        The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
        If only life were as easy as you
        I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
        I would still get screwed

Comment

Well, all the IQ tests that I've done and received notes for are/were in English (not my mother tongue) and online. I usually get between 138 and 141.

Comment

Do you know yours? I don't know mine; I've only done some kind of online IQ test in english, and I doubt the results of those things are very accurate.
            There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

If you're running a wizard, high intelligence is more important, but for clerics or druids, you might as well just put the points in wisdom.

Comment

Originally posted by Nowhere
                Well...you have to remember a quote by one of the fathers of modern IQ tests (I'm not sure who, perhaps Temran...but that's really nevermind). Something along those lines:

question: what actually is an IQ?
                answer: IQ is the result of my test.
                In theory, the numbers mean this: The scale is based upon what is normal for a 10 year-old. If you are 10 years old and score what is average for a 10 year old, your IQ is 100. If however, you score what is normal for a 20 year old, your IQ is 200. It is supposedly weighted for age from there, and as such, taking an IQ test when you are past college age is less meaningful.

Comment

Originally posted by Jon P. Inghram
                  If you're running a wizard, high intelligence is more important, but for clerics or druids, you might as well just put the points in wisdom.
                  High intelligence is also good for Rogues (extra skill points(as if they need extra)) and surprisingly Fighters as well (High Int and Dex for fighters opens up maneuvers you wouldn't otherwise see with a normal meatshields(fighter classes) .

old D&D stated that 10 IQs = 1 Int. so to cast a 9th level spell you would need Int 19 or IQ 190+

TX would have issues casting anything higher than a 3rd level spell. Sorry dude, you limited to Fireballs and Lightning Bolts.
                  /meow
                  Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600
                  Asus Striker ][
                  8GB Corsair XMS2 DDR2 800 (4x2GB)
                  Asus EN8800GT 512MB x2(SLI)

I am C4tX0r, hear me mew!

Comment

I remember playing a level 12/13 or so Fighter/Magic user.. no one else in the party seemed to do much.. We were in this prison block facing down three adamantine robots with death rays coming out of their eyes.. The monk was able to maneuver out of the way, but everyone else except me died and had to be ressurected. I killed all of the robots by myself. I used improved teleport to teleport one of them to a point above the middle of a deep subterranean lake, I then used disintegrate on one (handy), and finally used reverse enlarge (a 1st level spell) on the last one, shrinking him to the size of a can of beans. I then pummled him with a warhammer until he was no longer functional.
                    Last edited by KvHagedorn; 14 August 2006, 16:52.

Comment

I think that was an older way of scoring IQ tests KvH, they do it differently now, but that could provide you a rough guideline.

There are too many variables based on SES (social economic status), location, culture etc to really do IQ tests properly anymore (not that they ever were, but they have been coming to this realization)
                      Q9450 + TRUE, G.Skill 2x2GB DDR2, GTX 560, ASUS X48, 1TB WD Black, Windows 7 64-bit, LG M2762D-PM 27" + 17" LG 1752TX, Corsair HX620, Antec P182, Logitech G5 (Blue)
                      Laptop: MSI Wind - Black

Comment

Mehen,

While I agree that IQ tests are less than meaningful, I reject outright the "Socioeconomic Status" arguments. If you're an idiot, you're an idiot. Don't blame your inner-city upbringing. When you see a test and the question is "suzy has 10 apples and gives 3 to timmy in exchange for a rubber band and some bubble gum... how many apples does suzy have left", I don't care if you're from Compton or Tibet you can ****ing well answer 7 apples!

And don't play coy - that's what the socioeconomic argument IS. It's that "Jaleel and Moniqua aren't familiar with savings accounts and Volvos and other white-boys-only concepts, therefore they do poorly on tests". And it's bullshit. Jaleel and Moniqua do poorly on tests because they don't go to school, don't do homework, and spend their time gangbanging instead of studying.
                        The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
                        I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
                        I would still get screwed

Comment

Originally posted by Gurm
                          Mehen,

While I agree that IQ tests are less than meaningful, I reject outright the "Socioeconomic Status" arguments. If you're an idiot, you're an idiot. Don't blame your inner-city upbringing. When you see a test and the question is "suzy has 10 apples and gives 3 to timmy in exchange for a rubber band and some bubble gum... how many apples does suzy have left", I don't care if you're from Compton or Tibet you can ****ing well answer 7 apples!

And don't play coy - that's what the socioeconomic argument IS. It's that "Jaleel and Moniqua aren't familiar with savings accounts and Volvos and other white-boys-only concepts, therefore they do poorly on tests". And it's bullshit. Jaleel and Moniqua do poorly on tests because they don't go to school, don't do homework, and spend their time gangbanging instead of studying.
                          Can I gangbang too?

Comment

No, no... he doesn't mean with teenage girls, he means with pop-guns
                            “And, remember: there's no 'I' in 'irony'” ~ Merlin Mann

Comment

Working...
                            X