No announcement yet.

Windows on Mac? (Boot Camp, Parallels)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows on Mac? (Boot Camp, Parallels)

Hey all - a few questions to our NextSt... Mac lovers

My mother is thinking about buying a laptop. I think a MacBook would be ideal for her: She still doesn't grasp windoze, but maybe she needs it for some funky korean app or she won't grasp OSX either, but with BootCamp, she could just use XP if OSX doesn't suit her.

So, my questions:

Does this run flawlessly? Right clicking can be emulated with Apple Mouse Utility and ctrl-click. Is there any way to get the keyboard's special functions (brightness, volume...) to work, or can those be accessed easily enough by other means? Is there any way to map the right enter (WTF? Why is there an enter key next to the apple key next to the spacebar?) to ctrl+alt in windows?

There are probably other things I didn't think of.
    There's an Opera in my macbook.

There are some issues with Windows under Boot Camp, but most have to do with drivers. I haven't checked recently, but remember, Boot Camp has been beta software. It does look like a more finalized version will be available sooner or later - depends if Apple is really going to wait until 10.5 (Leopard) ships to include that version of Boot Camp.

From what I understand, all the function keys should work without a problem. In regards to remapping the right-side Enter key, it may be possible with standard key-remapping software, but I couldn't say with any authority.

The one major issues I've heard of is Boot Camp somehow locking users out of OS X. I have a suspicion that this is more user error than anything else, but it does appear to be an issue a few have faced. I have also heard of issues with foreign language keyboards or character entry, though nothing that's been substantiated beyond an issue with the Euro sign key not working.

Mind you, Boot Camp would be more like using Windows on any system (save for the few driver issues) whereas Parallels might confuse your mother even more if she isn't comfortable with or doesn't fully grasp Windows or OS X.
    “And, remember: there's no 'I' in 'irony'” ~ Merlin Mann

Comment

I have been using it for a few months now and have had no problems. Apple provide all the needed drivers for their systems. I only use it to play games and check out software from the win side. It is a straight forward install. I have read that some people have managed to screw it up (hard to do if you know what you are doing). Just follow the instructons and it works like they say.

Comment

Yeah, the parallels thing is just because this system (IF my mother does buy it) will kinda be a beta test for when/if I get a laptop

I've heard the function keys are not working, and there is no "del" key.

Another three questions: When is Leppard going to come out? I've heard rumors that Core 2 MacBooks and MB Pros are on their way - anybody know anything about this? Is Parallels Free? Is it possible to have Parallels and Boot Camp use the same Windows installation? Did you just count the questions?

Comment

Oh, BTW: http://www.techeblog.com/index.php/t...rash-different

Comment

Old video, but a good one.

Parallels isn't free and is not able to use the same Windows install as Boot Camp. There is a way to migrate a Boot Camp Windows install over to Parallels, but it's not an error free series of steps. Should be easy enough to google around for the instructions.

As far as the function keys go, I believe they initially did not work, but recently I've heard that they do and there is even information per the brightness keys in Apple's skimpy FAQ:

Why don't CDs and DVDs eject using the Eject key on my Apple keyboard when running Windows XP?

The Apple Keyboard Eject Key software may not be installed. Make sure you have installed the Macintosh Drivers CD as described above and in the "Boot Camp Beta Installation & Setup Guide" PDF document.

In Windows XP, the Brightness keys on my keyboard stopped working after I changed keyboards.

Brightness keys may stop working if you disconnect your keyboard and attach a different one. If this happens, reinstall the Macintosh drivers from the Macintosh Drivers CD to resolve the issue.
            Leopard should be available Spring of 2007 and, from what I understand, will include Boot Camp by default.

Comment

1: Spring next year
              2: Will happen soon
              3: not free $80,00
              4: Don`t know I have not tried it.

I think for your mother sake you might want to stick with Boot Camp.

Comment

For my mother, definitely. Thanks for the info, though, if I may ask - do you mean soon or soonTM?

Comment

Az, Boot Camp has been updated to now include:
                  • iSight camera support
                  • Support for built-in microphones
                  • Right-click when pressing the right-hand Apple key on Apple keyboards
                  • Improved Apple keyboard support including Delete, PrintScreen, NumLock, and ScrollLock keys

I figure the last two updates should make things easier to cope with for your mom if you do decide to go with a Mac and Boot Camp running Windows for her.

Comment

paralles works great for me, but only as I need to swap between the two systems.
                    now with the advanced boot camp support, that jesse Just posted, boot camp sounds like a better solition
                    Juu nin to iro

English doesn't borrow from other languages. It follows them down dark alleys, knocks them over, and goes through their pockets for loose grammar.

Comment

Working...
                    X