Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dialup sucks

Yeah, I'm currently on dialup

The ISP is "moving" my dsl, they require 8 workdays to "move" the dsl conection from one line to another in the same phone station.

Since I had a dsl conection in my new apartment it shouldent have been harder than to push a few buttons to upp it from 2mbit, to the 24mbit (yes they can do that, since they did it when I upgraded)I have, but that would be to nice to their customers, so they run it by the book and I might be on dialup for the next 2 weeks
    If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Originally posted by Technoid
    I might be on dialup for the next 2 weeks
    yep, dialup can be bad. But just imagine being on 40kbps gprs using a mobile as modem, that crashes every now and then.

Jörg
    pixar
    Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Comment

Was it this dial-up you speak of?
      Titanium is the new bling!
      (you heard from me first!)

Comment

Whatcha complaining about? It took the telecoms guys 5½ YEARS to change me from 56 kbit/s to 1 Mbit/s ADSL, the current maximum. The changeover took place only a few months ago.
        Brian (the devil incarnate)

Comment

Originally posted by ZokesPro
          Was it this dial-up you speak of?
          you never used a 300bps cradle did you
          Juu nin to iro

English doesn't borrow from other languages. It follows them down dark alleys, knocks them over, and goes through their pockets for loose grammar.

Comment

Originally posted by Sasq

stop it! you're gonna give me nightmares!
            /meow
            Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600
            Asus Striker ][
            8GB Corsair XMS2 DDR2 800 (4x2GB)
            Asus EN8800GT 512MB x2(SLI)

I am C4tX0r, hear me mew!

Comment

Ahh-yes.....cradlemodems. I remember them well. I also remember 6' high magtap drives, clothes washer-size hard discs and 8" paper floppys

I also ran one of the first EMI CT head scanners in the United States
              Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 10 August 2006, 01:02.
              Dr. Mordrid
              ----------------------------
              An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

Cradle models were ok back then.. the code to display "The air is smelly and the floor is wet" transmits pretty quickly no matter what speed you are on.

Comment

for those who don't know what I'm talking about..

Comment

Originally posted by KvHagedorn
                    Cradle models were ok back then.. the code to display "The air is smelly and the floor is wet" transmits pretty quickly no matter what speed you are on.
                    That's 39 characters, at 300bps, even THAT took a second to say
                    Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Originally posted by Sasq
                      No, I was on dial-up for quite some time though. but the slowest connection I've ever had was 28.8kbps.
                      Originally posted by Wombat
                      That's 39 characters, at 300bps, even THAT took a second to say
                      Damn!
                      Titanium is the new bling!
                      (you heard from me first!)

Comment

I never had a cradle, but we did have a 300bps "Pocket Modem" attached to our C64. I've also used 2400, 9600, 14.4k, 28.8k and 56k dialup. I think 28.8 was the slowest I've used for actual Internet access though...
                        Lady, people aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard coated bastards with bastard filling. But I don't find them half as annoying as I find naive, bubble-headed optimists who walk around vomiting sunshine. -- Dr. Perry Cox

Comment

slowest I used for net was 9600, but that was err ftp and gopher...
                          Juu nin to iro

English doesn't borrow from other languages. It follows them down dark alleys, knocks them over, and goes through their pockets for loose grammar.

Comment

Working...
                          X