PDA

View Full Version : Nvidia Reveal $18,000 PC Graphics Card

lowlifecat
9th August 2006, 01:13
As if PC gaming wasn't expensive enough, Nvidia have unveiled a graphics card that will be known to shooter fans simply as 'God'. The $18K Quadro Plex 1000. How's your e-penis now? (http://www.gwn.com/news/story.php/id/10042/)

You could buy a pretty decent sports car for that kind of money. Or, according to Nvidia, you can have 12 mega pixel hi-def video, and a card (actually it's more like a series of cards) that will run every PC game due for release in the next century.

"According to Nvidia, a node can achieve up to 64x full scene anti-aliasing (FSAA), deliver a performance of up to 148 megapixels on 16 synchronized digital-output channels and eight HD SDI channels. The firm says that the fill rate reaches 80 billion pixels/s while the geometry performance is rated at seven billion vertices/s."

The cheapest model starts at $17,500, and it just goes up from there! When they're released in September, we'll probably give a few away. Or, maybe we'll buy a house instead!

The only problem with owning one of these cards is you'd need about 20 of the latest CPUs in order to feed it data quick enough that the CPU wouldn't become a massive bottleneck. Of course, they're designed for integrated graphics computers and engineers, not really gaming!

If anyone out there actually plans to purchase one of these suckas, we'd love to hear how many of your children you intend to sell in order to fund such a venture. Of course, we do not condone such things.
Aug 3, 2006

*twitch!*

Gurm
9th August 2006, 03:35
Sadly, the entire thing will be completely outdated by even the cheapest graphics cards of the year 2008. That's just how Moore's law works.

lowlifecat
9th August 2006, 04:48
that's 180 hamburgers for this puppy. right mehen, it's time for your diet :laugh:

Dr Mordrid
9th August 2006, 07:21
$18k doesn't begin to cover it; adding a 12 megapixel panel array could easily double that :p

Fluff
9th August 2006, 07:58
Host Connection PCI Express x16, Small Form Factor, Passive (10W)

2M (6.5 foot) NVIDIA Quadro Plex Interconnect Cable

Is what I'm excited about. Imagining a system similar to a hi fi setup. Slim box for core duo pc with a cable connecting to the graphics system housed in a seperate enclosure (equivalent to a power amp). Which could mean quiet high performance gaming, as they wouldn't be constrained by BTX / ATX form factor ( better heatsink design)or having to mess around with is my PSU powerful enough etc.

E.g. on your desk you have something the size of a mac mini. and tucked away you have the graphics.

TransformX
9th August 2006, 10:13
This thing is going to generate enough heat to fry eggs on...

High_Jumbllama
9th August 2006, 10:23
Host Connection PCI Express x16, Small Form Factor, Passive (10W)

2M (6.5 foot) NVIDIA Quadro Plex Interconnect Cable

Is what I'm excited about. Imagining a system similar to a hi fi setup. Slim box for core duo pc with a cable connecting to the graphics system housed in a seperate enclosure (equivalent to a power amp). Which could mean quiet high performance gaming, as they wouldn't be constrained by BTX / ATX form factor ( better heatsink design)or having to mess around with is my PSU powerful enough etc.

E.g. on your desk you have something the size of a mac mini. and tucked away you have the graphics.

Perhaps, but not too far away or latency could become an issue for interactive purposes. For rendering a movie of course this would not matter.

Fluff
9th August 2006, 10:40
True ... you are right at 2m length the round trip of 4m adds a minimum of 12ns of latency.

Mehen
9th August 2006, 15:59
lol @ lowlife

Food > Computer

I still don't think that card would run FEAR smooth.

Jessterw
9th August 2006, 16:23
It better be able to make virtual vixens give BJ's at that price :p

Mehen
9th August 2006, 16:29
If thats true then Computer > Food

lowlifecat
9th August 2006, 16:30
It better be able to make virtual vixens give BJ's at that price :p

you'd pay that much for a BJ? *twitch!* and here i was poking the 100$ hamburger when a 18k$ BJ was floating around. :cheeky:

lowlifecat
9th August 2006, 16:33
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Mehen
9th August 2006, 16:37
wow, for some reason I didn't calculate that in my head... that is pretty ridiculous, I think I will stick to $100 hamburgers and $10 hookers.

Jessterw
9th August 2006, 16:43
you'd pay that much for a BJ? *twitch!* and here i was poking the 100$ hamburger when a 18k$ BJ was floating around. :cheeky:
I am married, so by the time I pass, I think that's a fair estimate :p