• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Google + MySpace/Fox

August 7, 2006

Google Goes Sole Searching with MySpace, Fox

By Clint Boulton

Google will pay News Corp. $900 million through 2010 to be the exclusive search and keyword advertising sales provider for MySpace.com and other Fox Interactive Media Web sites owned by the media giant.

Google, which competes with Microsoft and Yahoo in the lucrative business for online search, will use its AdSense program to drive text-based advertising and keyword-targeted ads for Fox Interactive Media's network.

In a twist, Google will also have a right of first refusal on display advertising sold through third parties on Fox Interactive Media's network.

This is a considerable measure of control for Google, which hopes to leverage MySpace.com's millions of users to sell more ads.

The integration of Google's search services across Fox Interactive Media's network is slated to begin in the fourth quarter of 2006.
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

I'm suprised that Google is betting on MySpace still being that popular over 4 years. It's collapse is inevitable and possibly near. People forget that fads go as quickly as they come. It's about to reach the point where it'll be uncool to be on there now because of it being acceptable to the adult population -- parents have their own profile, industries advertise on it heavily (soon enough unhip advertisements will show up), etc. Furthermore the kids my age that started it will move on in life, the younger ones will find something new and MySpace will be mentioned like Asian Avenue... "Myspace? That is soooo mid 2000s"
    Gigabyte GA-K8N Ultra 9, Opteron 170 Denmark 2x2Ghz, 2 GB Corsair XMS, Gigabyte 6600, Gentoo Linux
    Motion Computing M1400 -- Tablet PC, Ubuntu Linux

"if I said you had a beautiful body would you take your pants off and dance around a bit?" --Zapp Brannigan

Comment

considering my feelings towards google and the shafting...
      more power to them to loose cash.

currently using yahoo for my search.
      Juu nin to iro

English doesn't borrow from other languages. It follows them down dark alleys, knocks them over, and goes through their pockets for loose grammar.

Comment

I do like the fact that myspace, msn spaces, blogger etc are sucking up and collecting all the rubbish web pages.

Comment

@Fluff

Never thought about that, but it's probably quite true. Social networking sites and "easy to use" blogging sites have probably eliminated a good chunk of bad personal webpages. Nice thought.
          Gigabyte GA-K8N Ultra 9, Opteron 170 Denmark 2x2Ghz, 2 GB Corsair XMS, Gigabyte 6600, Gentoo Linux
          Motion Computing M1400 -- Tablet PC, Ubuntu Linux

"if I said you had a beautiful body would you take your pants off and dance around a bit?" --Zapp Brannigan

Comment

Working...
          X